Sunday, June 1, 2014

Socrates a smart man

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." (Socrates)

Thanks to Seth Adam Smith for posting this on Facebook today.  I've been fighting so hard to not slip back into old ways that I forgot I need to put my energy into building new.  I am very aware that before building new some of the old needs to be acknowledged and cleared away.  I can't build a new house on an old crumbled foundation.  Many years of counseling were devoted to clearing away old distortions.  Now is the time to build new.  I won't go back to old ways because I have already changed.  I need to put my energy in strengthening the me I was always meant to be.  I don't enjoy having useless shouting matches.  It drains me for hours.  I am learning to stay focused on the most important and stop trying to resolve old unsolvable problems. Deep cleansing breathe.  Let go of the old to embrace the new.  Change comes slowly but it comes. 

Clear out the old before building the new....focus on the new once the old is removed.


2 comments:

mulderfan said...

IMO you needed that one last shouting match as a kind of announcement to yourself that you're, quite simply, done. I say, to yourself, because it is of no consequence whether others heard you or not. They're unlikely to change but you have.
Close that door and move on.

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan, I hadn't thought of it as an affirmation that I am truly done. Hugs.