Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Photography

No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.
http://mediawebmonster.com/FavoriteQuotes/EncouragingWords/
widget 365 Days of Encouraging words.



 Most puzzling to me is parents that in their own world demand that their children keep quiet about what happens.  Deny children truth and stunt their growth.  I remember writing a report in 8th grade that I wanted to be an interior designer.  I knew I would need home ec classes to do this.  I signed up for home ec instead of Biology.  As soon as my father found out he marched me down to school and changed my schedule.  He felt science is what I needed to be doing.  I was good at it.  I liked it.  But it wasn't the direction I wanted to grow.  I buckled down in school and worked hard in math and science just as my parents expected.  I married and quit school for a long time.   When I returned, I obediently went back into engineering.  I was very good but hated the classes.  I just felt so strongly I needed my degree in anything.  Over 10 years ago I applied for a job in the School of Art at the local university.  They needed a computer tech, I needed a job that I could get a discount while taking classes for me and my kids.  I figured it would be a great match.  They didn't want to know about computers and I didn't want to know about art.  Little did I know that this would be a life changing experience.  For the first time in my life, I interacted with people that not only allowed me to grow they actively encouraged it.  Imagine being required as part of my job to sit in on the Photography 101 class.  The first day the professor declared that Photography is science mixed with magic.  What a transformation this was for me.  It was during my second Photography 101 class (I hadn't registered for the first one so I didn't have credit,) that the teacher assigned us to do a self portrait using pictures representing who we were.  The assignment blew me away.  I took three rolls of black and white film.  One roll I had no idea where the pictures came from.  I knew I didn't share my camera but there were all these pictures that didn't seem to belong to me - yet they did.  Photography created the first dent in the shell I used to protect myself.  Photography some how breached the gap between me and my alters.  They liked using the camera too.  I took the 8x10 prints and formed them into a mobius strip.  For the next 10 years I worked with men and women that thrived on learning.  Pushing me to grow in ways I never dreamed possible.  They taught me that pre-visualization limited me to what I could think of.  Where as, taking the camera in hand and following its lead I could expand my world to things I never been too.  Photography became an integral part of becoming who I am today.  Photos in my book We Are One are all mine.  My use of the camera to liberate from the secret recesses of my mind my past forever altered me.  The photos also helped me to make connections and process information.  I held a photography show called Baseline that addressed my emotional reaction to having cancer.  Photography lets me explore the world in ways that I never knew existed.  I marvel at the delicate intricacies of tiny desert flowers, ooo and awe taking pictures of fireworks, chuckle when capturing grandkids at play, marvel at a beautiful world that was I always looked at but didn't see until I had a camera in my hand.  It is only fitting that photos would document my integration.  Joyfully photography still plays a major role in my life. 

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

My DD won a scholarship for computer science at a major university. She was also accepted for a program in Art History/Fine Art offered by one of Canada's leading universities and a nearby college with art studios.

MY NF thought she should got into computers but I said, "Follow your heart." Now she is am extremely well educated artist who works for a dog groomer and loves it.

My NPs constantly criticize my DD's choices and her job. These two people who worked in stores and factories tell me they're "ashamed" to tell people what DD does for a living.

My undergrad degree is in Art History and, as you know, a background in art pervades your whole life. I believe that an education, regardless of the focus is never lost, it becomes a part of who you are.

I'm so glad you got to follow your heart, Ruth!

Ruth said...

We owned a Cocker Spaniel that needed grooming. I have a great deal of respect for anyone that can care for animals. I am glad you encouraged your DD to follow her heart. I think the world would be a happier place if more people did that. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Recently I have had to move in with a friend of mine until I can afford my own place again. C-PTSD sure does stifle you sometimes. Anyway, he seems supportive and then I will ask a question and he will say "Asked and Answered." Or I will start to tell him something I was thinking and he will sigh very loudly. He happens to be somebody that I met five years ago and is the only one that has "stuck" with me through this "coming to terms" that has hit me as an adult. What I mean to say, it is taking me forever, sorry. Thanks for writing the first sentence, "No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow." He has really been hurting my feelings since I arrived and I needed desperately to read something to encourage me today.

Ruth said...

Karen you are right. Dealing with C-PTSD takes a long time. I am glad I found a quote to help you at this time. I was blessed with a sister that didn't mind answering the same question several times. Other people were not always so kind. Take care.
Ruth