Friday, June 10, 2011

Warning...

"Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on."
My friend posted this on Facebook.  I just needed to share it.  I have sometimes joked that I only opened my mouth so I could change feet.  My ability to totally fluff a conversation is one of the reasons why I sought counseling in the first place.  I originally went to learn how to communicate better.  I didn't realize that the first thing I had to do was figure out who's doing the talking.  In many ways, being a singleton is so much easier to keep track of what I say with fewer bloopers.  I am not blooper free but a vast improvement over some of the conversations where I switch part way through.   My sister was sometimes highly amused at some of the disconnects between conversations from different alters.  Just before integration switching became more frequent.  Kind of like shuffling cards mid-hand.  The quiet after integration was such a relief, then it was really spooky.  You know that feeling you have when you are in an empty house and you think someone should be there so you go from room to room looking for them until you are finally satisfied you are alone?  That's what it felt like for awhile.  Now I am used to being alone in my head.  I still talk to myself but I know who's doing the talking. 
 

9 comments:

mulderfan said...

My Saturday morning smile! Who doesn't love a person who pokes fun at themselves? For one thing, you can be sure they're not a narc!

Thanks, Ruth

Ruth said...

Your welcome mulderfan, thanks for the reassurance. :)

Anonymous said...

I was amused once I knew what was going on. Before that, not so much. I hated repeating myself 3-5 times, feeling like I wasn't being heard. When I knew I was telling a group using only one headset, I didn't mind. Then it became a challenge to figure out who was who. ~Judy

Ruth said...

Your patience is greatly appreciated.
Ruth :)

Anonymous said...

Perfect blog entry for me today. Thanks :-) As a multiple still trying to figure out how to be a singleton, I can totally relate! I love the analogies from both you and your sister. I'm going to share them with my friends and family. It's not always easy to find the humor when you are going through it.

Ruth said...

Glad we could help. There are plenty of challenges for both the multiple and the family. Humor eases some of the frustration.

CZBZ said...

Oh Gosh...you just know I love self-deprecation! We have to learn to laugh at ourselves so we can stand it when other folks laugh at us.

Too many people take themselves WAY to seriously and ya know, life is very lonely and bleak if you do that!

Glad to know you're getting used to sleeping in your bed alone, Ruth. Took me thirty-four years to experience the joy of sleeping alone, without anybody snoring except myself!

I'm enjoying your blog...thanks for posting on mine so I could find you!


Hugs,
CZBZ

Anonymous said...

Humor is the only way to make it through. ~Judy

Ruth said...

CZBZ, need to clear up one misconception. I am married. Being alone inside my head is only 3 years old. My DH went with me for 5 years of counseling as I worked through the hardest part of remembering my messed up childhood. Integrating multiple personalities into one personality gives the person a feeling of being alone for the first time. Thanks for your encouragement. Ruth

Judy you are absolutely right. Thanks. :)