Friday, June 3, 2011

Purpose Intent Goals

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished, if you're alive, it isn't. -Richard Bach

I enjoy reading a variety of blogs and webpages.  I ran across a great post by Kathy at It's All About MiE.  She shared her ideas about intentions vs. goals.  

I really liked the idea of working out my intentions.  My here and now.  Through counseling I have worked on my past.  I started 8 years ago with practically no memories.  Now, I have more memories than I can handle some days.  I have set goals for my future.  Living here and now is a different idea.

Over twenty years ago after my sixth child was born I became extremely sick.  I could be up about 20 minutes a day.  I had no memories of my past.  I had no plans for my future.  I couldn't make plans because I usually wasn't well enough to carry them out.  I had tried for years to talk to medical doctors and asked them what was wrong.  They ran test; I was fine.  But oh so sick.  Hind site being 20/20, I now know I experienced severe sleep deprivation due to PTSD.  I survived in the here and now.  Some days I lived 5 minutes at a time.  But I don't think that is the same.  I wasn't living; I was barely surviving. 

Living here and now means to me that I have a past.  It influences me but doesn't control me.  I have a future.  I can make goals and plans.  I want to live in today.  Today I watched my grandson.  He is an 'in the moment' type of 2 year old.  He didn't worry about yesterday.  He didn't fret about tomorrow.  His enjoyment of now is complete until he trips and falls then his distress is immediate.  Acknowledged, accepted, hugs given and he was ready to go again.  I am thankful I had the opportunity to learn from an expert how to live here and now.  Besides he is so cute. 

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

When you get time read Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now". He says living in the now enables us find our true selves.

I observe my pets and admire the way they are always living each moment to the fullest...especially the new kitten!

Ruth said...

The Library has an audio version of The Power of Now plus a couple of his other books. I will need to see if I can find a printed version. There are some drawbacks to being partially deaf.

I love watching kitties, puppies, ferrets, almost any animal at play. :)

Ruth said...

Found the book. It is now on my list of books to read this summer.