Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bubbles and Waves

At the beginning of counseling I was trying to figure out emotions.  Being disconnected from any feeling left me the ability to examine them like I would a dead frog in biology.  I was detached, curious, and untouched by most emotions.  This is when I read Life's Uncertain, Eat Dessert First.  I enthusiastically shared the book with KavinCoach.  I thought it was awesome.  He was kind of dismissive and said it was about fun and light happiness but didn't come near joy.  I was a little disappointed but not too much because I learned that I like to have fun.   Happy feelings make an ordinary day lighter.  We discussed joy and moments of time when I may have felt it.  I puzzled over the difference for years.  Since that time I have felt like I had fun, felt happy and experienced joy.  Wow was KavinCoach right; there is a vast difference between happy and joy.  I struggle with getting a picture in my mind to be able to see the difference.  I finally hit on the right visual for me. Happiness is like a bubble.  You need all the right conditions and somebody else can bust your bubble.  Joy is like a wave.  It sweeps in and carries away all fears and distress.  It brings along peace and can last for hours. Looking at my children raising their children, I feel joy.  Eating chocolate cookies with chocolate milk, I feel happy.   May your day be filled with joy.











1 comment:

Kara said...

I was reading "Anna Karenina" this morning and I came across a passage that made me think of your post.

"Besides, her children were already beginning to repay her care by affording her small joys. These joys were so trifling as to be as imperceptible as grains of gold among the sand, and in moments of depression she saw nothing but the sand; yet there were brighter moments when she felt nothing but joy, saw nothing but the gold."

Love