Saturday, April 21, 2012

Learning to respect myself

My daughter persuaded me to join her Zumba class.  Before each classes she reminds all the students to respect their body.  If we have a previous injury, take care when we exercise that part of our body.  Listen to what the pain in your body is telling you.  Remember "No pain is No pain."  Over this past year I am working at respecting my body.  I am working at being aware of what I put in it.  Make sure I take my medication correctly.  In short, do all the things my body needs to thrive.

This week I was frustrated with myself because I wasn't accomplishing much.  I spent two late nights emotionally beating myself up for being such a slacker.   Today, my brain came to a screeching halt...What if I respected my emotions and mind like I do my body.  This week I was stepping into new emotional territory.   I was pushing past fears and speaking up.  The emotional strain is huge.  I grew up in an environment that was emotionally severely damaging.  I was hurt, a lot.  What if instead of getting angry with myself I acknowledge the previous injury.   Recognize the emotional strain I am feeling right now.  Easy up in other areas.  Stop punishing myself for not doing more than I am doing right now.  If I expect others to respect me, I think I need to start with me respecting me. 

Free to soar.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Exactly. Emotional work is extremely tiring, and we need to respect our need for down time as part of the process. Respect, not more name calling. The way to freedom.

Evan said...

I agree emotional work is hard work. And respecting ourselves is little encouraged. Keep up the great work you are doing.