Thursday, April 12, 2012

I wish someone had told me......

I read this from a suggestion on Facebook.  Thank you to whoever shared it.  I was crying by the time I got to the end.  Life doesn't have an edit undo.  However it does have, change from today onward.

Enjoy.....

http://powerofmoms.com/2012/04/your-children-want-you/

I didn't have a mom like this.  I worried about too much of all the wrong things while I raised my kids.  Hopefully the next generation will better understand that things, projects, perfection, and other busyness isn't what kids need.  Some is nice, but parents that focus on what each kid needs is really what makes a better world, one child at a time.

5 comments:

mulderfan said...

I had a career, a business, five dogs, five cats and a huge country home with a mortgage to match. Everything had to be perfect!

Now I have no job or business, two young puppies, five cats, a small house that's paid for and the best relationship I've ever had with my daughter!

Everything is a bit dusty and wonky, including me, because I've finally realized I don't have to be perfect in order to be happy.

Great link! Love P/M

inviziblepain said...

This made me cry too! Thank You for sharing... wish I had a mom like that too.
IP

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this!!
I work FT, go to school FT, and try to be a mom too. Over these past few months daddy has really had to step up. With alot of changes happening in my life, this is EXACTLY what I needed to hear, help me this week as I enter FINALS week.
Thank you so much!

Evan said...

I do think things have improved on the child rearing front since my day (I'm 53).

Much less tightness, much more willingness to listen to different people's needs.

The downside is increasing expectations.

Judith said...

I have a post in the works sort of about this.

Basically, I think all these Martha Stewart, glossy mag guilt trips should be seen as icing, but not the cake. And frankly, too much icing just makes you puke.

I also think that a lot of women who complain about being "stressed out" are making choices to gob on the icing to make good appearances and neglect the things that are really important.

I don't have any answers, but I do think we make a big error trying to keep up with the Joneses instead of discovering who we are and what is important to us.