Friday, April 20, 2012

Frumping

When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country.
Or if they are like me I play computer games that require no thinking but allow me to sort information while the logical brain is kept busy. Dumb things is the scores a super low since I am not actually paying enough attention to the game to do well. I don't care either. I am learning that each person has a way to pull back and recoup. Someone else watching them can not understand the rhyme or the reason of why it works for them. Hiking during the day time works well. However, I stopped walking at night. I accepted that it isn't really safe to be out late at night roaming the streets in a large city. I am trying to learn to be patient with myself when I get in these shut down times. I feel sad that I don't feel capable of doing more but it is like all the stuffings are clumped together in a rag doll. Then I remind myself that I took on a major challenge that left me limp and tired. Tomorrow will be better. I think I will plan for a nap. Sleep is good and I should be doing some right now. Dear readers....Would you be willing to share what you do when you are recuperating? I am curious what helps people feel like going forward is ok after a rest. What is restful?

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

I used to go walking in the dead of night with my German Shepherd. Now that he's gone, I can't wait for new puppy #1 to be a big boy. Here in my small town most people still don't lock their doors but "civilization" is starting to catch up with us.

For me, having a project is important. These usually involve my house but now and then I create detailed costumes for my DD to wear at Comic Con and Fan Expo.

The house projects involve handywoman stuff. Building shelves, tiling the front step, painting, building a kitchen counter, insulating my crawl space...Some stuff needs brain power because I need to find out how to do it.

I keep a list of ideas on standby, then when life gets me down, I get to work! My latest was replacing some light fixtures out on the deck.

BTW The handywoman stuff is one of the positives I got from being born a girl to a father who wanted a boy! Funny thing is, he had no patience with either of my brothers so they missed out.

Tomorrow is always a new day!

Love P/M

Ellen said...

I watch kid's movies or cartoons, do some light trashy reading, sometimes listen to music though that can make feelings stronger. Sometimes I just lie doing nothing but look out the window.

I think you are more actively inclined than I am when feeling low! Hope it passes soon for you.

Kara said...

Dear Ruth,

This is what I have in my tool kit for when I am in "the pit" (as my DH calls it) or I crash because I've been overdoing it:

Cups of tea.

Spider Solitaire, like you said it requires not much thinking and the repetition seems to help reset the brain.

I listen to the book readings of the BBC Radio 4, if you can find anything read by Samuel West (he reads so beautifully...) When it was the anniversary of the translation of the King James Bible, the BBC did a podcast with well known passages of the Bible being read by actors, Samuel West read the beginning chapters of Genesis and it's the most soothing reading I have heard ever. I downloaded the podcast from Itunes and I listen to it when I feel unsettled.

I go online and read blogs like yours, a lot of the breakthroughs in my life have come from learning from other people that have been there before me and are willing to share.

I am coming to terms with the fact that I am not like these people that have endless energy and seem to be able to plough on no matter what, and that it's ok, we don't all have to be the same. So I've been working on looking at the pit as an opportunity to rest and repair and letting myself off the hook if I need to take time out. After all, we are human beings not human doings.

Look forward to hear everybody else's ideas to add them to my kit.

Much love

Ruth said...

Thank you mulderfan, Ellen, and Kara, I appreciate all the different ideas. I am doing better today.
Ruth