Friday, July 6, 2012

Dreams


"Success is a state of mind. If you want success, start thinking of yourself as a success."
- Dr. Joyce Brothers


Hold fast to your dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged
bird that can not fly.
Hold fast to your dreams
For if dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.
- Langston Hughes (American Poet)

I dreamed a dream Susan Boyle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OcQ9A-5noM&feature=related
Her dream to become a professional singer became a reality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXz-UfAT4ew&feature=autoplay&list=UUDwM1WXb_9Bw7FSrm_DVCFA&playnext=1

 Les Miserables Cast
I Dreamed a Dream Lyrics
 
[ from Les Miserables Soundtrack ]
[Fantine is left alone, unemployed and destitute]

[FANTINE]
There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
And their words inviting
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
As they turn your dream to shame

He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came

And still I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/lesmiserables/idreamedadream.htm

Man of La Mancha The Impossible Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVlAtMZAzeY&feature=related
Musical "Man of La Mancha"
The Impossible Dream Lyrics

[ from Best of Broadway - American Musical Soundtrack ]

Lyrics by Joe Darion
In this song, Quixote explains his quest and the reasons behind it ... in doing so,
he captures the essence of the play and its philosophical underpinnings.
(For me, it is absolutely magical.)

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
when I'm laid to my rest ...
And the world will be better for this:
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach ... the unreachable star ...

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/bestofbroadway-americanmusical/theimpossibledream.htm

The cruelest result of abuse you loose your dreams in the quest to survive.   How does one think of success if you don't believe you are worthy to live? 

5 comments:

mulderfan said...

I've always believed if you don't have a dream, you have nothing. That's why I had the Japanese symbol for dream tattooed on my forearm!

Ruth said...

I've had nothing. Resurrecting dreams is a slow process.

Ellen said...

Exactly. I never had dreams either - just surviving was all I could manage. Sorry you were similar. Trying to be hopeful is a new concept for me.

Ruth said...

Hugs Ellen. I am beginning to believe in hopeful. Sad but nice to know I am not alone. Thank you for letting me know.

Scatha said...

You are worthy to live. And you can have your own dreams.
You are not alone.
:hugs: