Thursday, July 5, 2012

Introvert Video

I first watched this video at the school I worked at so thought it was part of the schools set of videos then a friend posted in on FB and I was delighted to find out it is one I can share.  It takes about 20 minutes to watch so is not for those in a hurry.  


http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html

Last year I took a mini class at the school district, there was a quick questionare about being an introvert vs an extrovert.  I scored the highest points possible on being an introvert.  When I was a multiple, I had a personality that took care of the social part of my life so most people thought I was an extrovert.  When integration occurred, that part got folded in.  Kind of like whipped egg whites folded in to waffles.  It is still there but well hidden.  Before I went back to work, I enjoyed the benefit of being in Toastmasters (http://www.toastmasters.org/) for a year.  It was an amazing experience.  The extrovert part of me is still there but I have to work hard at getting myself there.  Most of society rewards the extrovert but it is often the introvert that can work through complex problems that the extrovert doesn't want to have to worry about.  Another test you can try for fun is the lemon juice test, I first saw this on a video but this gives a simpler way to test it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/personalityandindividuality/lemons.shtml


Further study, I learned that there is a genetic link to which trait is dominant.  Unfortunately, there is plenty of teasing for an introvert to endure.  I am quiet happy as an introvert.  I recognize that I need to be careful not to become reclusive.  Accepting this aspect of my personality allows me to make adjustments to better meet my needs for a longer transition time.  I also recognize that I can get distressed with too much input.  A little bit of down time during a party or gathering helps me to appreciate the experience more.  Adjustment time between activities improves transitioning from one thing to another.  Switching did have this advantage.  I would switch and in a split second I could change from being an introvert to an extrovert.  I better understand why my friends that I had a screw loose.  They couldn't comprehend the extreme switch from one to the other.  They never knew I had multiple selves. 

The same but different.

1 comment:

Laurel Hawkes said...

Interesting. Loved the TED video. Thanks for posting it, and the time frame so I could schedule it.