Sunday, July 15, 2012

Powerless


13 Things You Should Do To Live Life Without Regrets

http://www.purposefairy.com/5867/13-things-you-should-do-to-live-life-without-regrets/

You have the power to unleash a choice that will change your life for the better. You were born with that power. Once you make this choice, let the light of the universe that shaped the oceans, rivers and mountains propel you forward. It may not happen quickly. It can take a lot of hard work. Your resolve and faith will be tested often. Through it all, keep on going, keep smiling, keep moving forward on this journey that was meant for you alone. The moment you make this choice you change the future for the better.
 Elephant training  http://www.elephant.se/elephant_training_history.php?open=Elephant%20training

My deepest regrets occurred when I felt powerless.  The difficult thing about abuse is the first thing the abuser does is make you feel powerless.  This is easy with a child when a child is so small and the adults are so big.  Lessons learned as a child that they are powerless and the ones that love you hurt you, it is difficult to overcome that training.  I sometimes felt like I had a target painted on me that said hurt me.  After counseling, I learned that I did.  People that believe they are powerless act that way.  People that want people to overpower look for those that feel powerless.  The feeling of being powerless can also develop when you are older.  I have a link to how an elephant is trained.  Elephants I think anyone will agree are large powerful animals.  Yet, they can be held by the tiniest of ropes once the elephant is convinced that it is powerless.  I was sick to my stomach when KavinCoach explained that this process is actually called 'grooming' when a pedophile first befriends then convinces a child that they are powerless.  Most people will draw away from a person that immediately shows their worse side.  Like cooking a frog, they start cool and slowly escalate abusive behaviors.  This is why teaching children how to set and protect boundaries is so important.  Unfortunately, once a person believes they are powerless reteaching that their power is theirs to keep and can only be given away takes time.  Everyday is a new day.  Everyday is another opportunity to reclaim your power.  Start with knowing your basic rights (http://weareone-ruth.blogspot.com/2012/06/powerful-list.html), make the decision to take back your rights, set appropriate boundaries, defend your boundaries, and learn to live.  I needed professional counselors to teach me how to work through the stages.  I remind myself that I am a work in progress and God isn't finished with me yet. 

No comments: