Thursday, April 18, 2013

Compassion on myself

When you look back at your life & see the bad choices you've made & feel bad about the lost opportunities or the problems you've created, resist the urge to beat yourself up. Facing the truth about the mistakes you've made in your life doesn't have to include cruel self-reproach. You can feel regret, remorse, sadness or loss. You can see where you went wrong & why, but you have to remember that until a person becomes conscious, they're doomed to act out the scripts that were written for them in their childhood. Without consciousness, we aren't the masters of our lives & we're not guided by our highest self. When consciousness begins to come in, it can be painful to look back & see where you went wrong, but have compassion for yourself. Now that you see the truth, you're empowered to make changes for the better & to move forward in a more constructive manner. This is the essence of ruthless compassion.
Ruthless Compassion contributes wonderful thoughtful pieces on Facebook. I capture the ones that I want to review and reflect as to how it applies to me and am I being compassionate with myself. KavinCoach pointed out more than once that I was far more compassionate of others than I am with myself.  He suggested I fire my nasty boss, the one that expected me to be to work 15 minutes early and stay 15 minutes late, never let up on any flaw, constantly setting unreachable goals then getting down on me for not reaching them.  He talked for awhile before it dawned on me that I was my own worse boss.  However, I am not alone.  A recent video came to my attention on Facebook that I believe is worth a few minutes of your time:

http://www.upworthy.com/2-people-described-the-same-person-to-a-forensic-artist-and-this-is-what-happene


When I view myself too harshly, I tend to sap my energy and keep me from reaching for the things I can do. 





1 comment:

mulderfan said...

I was told when my daughter was hospitalized for an eating disorder, if you don't take care of yourself first you won't be able to be there for your daughter.

Buddhism is all about humility and compassion. The theory is very similar: before you have compassion for others, you must first have compassion for yourself.

Mistakes and challenges are seen as opportunities for Buddhist to create value and become stronger. I believe when Christians say God doesn't give you anything you can't handle, it's a similar sentiment.