Sunday, April 28, 2013

Start where you are....

"Everyone who got to where they are
had to begin where they were."
- Richard Paul Evans


Start where you are.  I noticed in helping people with computers or photography they seem to get frustrated when they are beginners since they want to be experts first day.  I take people on picture Safaris.  I am always asked, "What camera should I have?"  My reply is the one you have that takes pictures.  I am not being sarcastic or rude; I am encouraging them to start where they are.  One woman was stunned that her tiny point and shoot camera could take wonderful pictures.  I showed her how to make a selection of what to take a picture of and to get closer.  By the end of the hour, she was so surprised at what she could do with what she had.  Counseling starts with where you are, asks you about where you've been, and explores where you want to go.  We started with talking about where we were at the time and what did we expect of counseling.  However, I was extremely surprised where we ended up.

I notice when I have talked to people they want to know how I got to where I am now.  Sometimes I am tempted to say, "Well, I didn't say 'Beam me up, Scotty.'" People are looking for short cuts to jump to where myself or someone else is in their healing process.  In every endeavor, there is a need to take the first step. I worked in the computer lab at a university for photographers.  On of the most complex thing we teach people is how to print,  an 11 step process.  Students would ask me to help them with printing.  I would sit down prepared to show them.  They would sit next to me eager to learn with no pencil or paper.  I asked, "You plan on remembering all 11 steps by me showing you once?"  They would smile sheepishly and get out their paper and pencil to write down what I showed them.  One of the barriers I had to get past in counseling was to take the first steps.  I was afraid of making the wrong move.  I was assured on more than one occasion that any move in any direction was a start to get me moving.  Once I was moving corrections in direction are easier.  If I don't take the first step, I am guaranteed to stay where I always been.  Formula to change, decide I want to change, take notes on what I want to do, and then take the first step, then the next one and the next one.

Start where you are
Keep moving

3 comments:

TR said...

It can be the simplest thing to realise and yet the hardest thing to do. We have visions of where we want to be - and how do we get to point B if we don't know where point A is? It can be that hard, can't it?

I love the photography (personal hobby as well). When I got a DSLR I only then realised that my point and shoot could take just as many good pics (I learned how to use my point and shoot better).

Great post! xxoo TR

Ruth said...

I agree TR, sometimes knowing where you are is a difficult task. Self evaluation is not taught in school and often not at home either. I use both a point and shoot and my DSLR. They have different characteristics and abilities. I also noticed that people are more intimidated by my DSLR so the point and shoot can go more places.

TR said...

That is a valid point - how do we learn self-awareness. If we are lucky - through parents/caregivers and if not - then where? xxoo