Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Getting emotionally unstuck...

"It is our choices...that show what we
truly are, far more than our abilities"
- J. K. Rowling


Sometimes I get stuck emotionally. I am fascinated that an article about how to get unstuck in photography would apply to getting past a stuck part emotionally.  I copied the headings of the pargraphs then listed how it helps with emotional sticky places.  

1-Push yourself, take risks and make mistakes.

One of the things about being emotionally stuck is fear of what will happen if I push through the emotion...what is on the other side of what I am feeling? 

2-Get out of your comfort zone.

Comfortable sometimes means I am in an emotional rut...the longer I stay comfortable the harder it is to move past why I am stuck emotionally

3-Spend time with other photographers.

Spend time with others that have similar challenges.  I do this with blogs and friends that understand me.  I also participated in two groups that had varying levels of success.  I find that being with someone where I can relax and really say-it-how-is comes a relief.  Most people I am very guarded to protect them from my messes. 

4-Take a class.

Works to have a new perspective.  A class or a book on an emotional challenge can sometimes get me past where I am struggling.  Some people become psychologist because they are working out their own personal issues.

5-Seek inspiration.

Reading uplifting posters, stories and other sources of uplifting reading including scriptures.  Include art museums and other creative venues that touch the emotional side of living. 

6-Become a mentor.

Teaching someone else is the fastest and most thorough way to learn something. 

7-Get lost on purpose!

What...you may ask how this could possibly be helpful.  Maybe this one would make more sense phrased as 'change up your routine.'  Nothing gets me out of a rut faster than a change of pace like a day off or a different event.

8-Pick a theme.

I chose an emotion then start researching everything I can about the one emotion.  I devote time looking up everything on an emotion.  I include music and art that touches my heart. 

9-Start a project.

Commit to a project...how can adding one more thing to my life make any difference....make it a long time project...something that I can keep working on it that helps focus my thoughts on how what I am doing fits into a bigger picture.  Sometimes this is going back to an old project that I neglected for a while.

10-Try new gear!

Yup... trying something new bumps me out of a rut.  Dyed my hair for the first time.  I am still surprised by who I see in the mirror.  Something new doesn't always mean I need to buy something new.  Rearranging furniture, a closet, hairstyle anything that changes up what I am currently doing. 

Conclusion

"It’s okay to take a little break too! Remember that creativity is a process, not a result. A creative block is not something to fear. It is part of being an artist."

The same thing could be said about emotions.  It's okay to take a little break too! Dealing with emotions is a process, not an end product.  Emotionally stuck is not something to fear. It is part of being human. 

Thanks to Digital Photography School for an awesome article...follow this link to read the original.
Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/10-tips-to-get-over-photographers-block#ixzz2PNe5luPv




 

No comments: