Wednesday, April 24, 2013

What do you see when you look in the mirror?



I am continuing on with the list of steps towards letting go of opinions that taint us:

 http://www.purposefairy.com/7805/9-truths-about-letting-go-of-opinions-that-taint-us/



6. That Tricky Enigma Called Universal Appeal

 This one is tricky indeed... I know with many discussions with my sister that the thought that we are lovable at all to anyone is a struggle.  When you are raised with the feeling that your own mother may say she loves you but treats you like crap...there isn't much of a problem of getting sucked into the belief that every body must love you.  I have met people that are just devastated if everyone doesn't fawn all over them and tell them they are wonderful.  I was always slightly puzzled by the behavior.  I had it ground into me that I was lucky if anyone would like me at all.  Or they would only like me for how they can use me.  I know I don't have universal appeal.  And this brings me to the next step:

7. Acknowledge the Good

I struggled to see the good in myself.  I saw the bad, the lazy, the stupid, the ugly, the fat, the whatever it was at the moment that was not good enough.  KavinCoach worked very hard at uncovering the good buried under all the negativity.  Took me a long time to be able to say, "I am a good person."  I am not the only one challenged in this area.  On facebook some posted a link to this page about people describing themselves to a sketch artist.   Then someone else describes the same person to the sketch artist.  He then hangs the pictures side by side. 

http://www.upworthy.com/2-people-described-the-same-person-to-a-forensic-artist-and-this-is-what-happene

I may not be the most popular person around but I have good qualities any way.  A large part of counseling for me was removing the distortions that made me look weird and scary in the mirror.  I am learning to let go of the opinions that I was not enough.  I am enough to do what I can do. 
Not a fish

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

Feels like you're describing ME but I know you're describing most ACoNs. It was drilled into us as kids and is hard to shake.

Ruth said...

It is hard to shake. Hugs mulderfan, you are one of the amazing wonderful people I have cyber met on this journey. You make a difference to me. Thank you.

mulderfan said...

That means a lot to me Ruth!