Friday, April 5, 2013

Good Better Best and WTF

MyCounselor is working on teaching me Good Better and Best ways of dealing with any given situation.  Good that I don't start an argument, Better to listen to the other persons point of view and Best to invite the other person to engage in a meaningful conversation that strengthens our relationship.  I don't get much past good.  The other ideas just don't occur to me.  I am working on it.  Monday, April Fool's day, I had a day off from school.  I had list and list of things to do.  I arranged in my mind what would be Good to do, which would be Better to do, and what would be my Best choice of spending my day....instead I chose WTF....I am fully aware that this does not mean "Wow That's Fantastic."  I had a day to do Good Better and Best....Nooooo....I chose to hike Squaw peak.  1.2 miles (1.9 KM) up to the summit of a butte in Phoenix.  I hadn't hiked all the way to the top in almost 10 years.  I spent 2 hours taking pictures on the way up and 2 hours doing everything I could to not fall flat on my face on the way down.  The hike is not the most difficult one in the area but it sure pushes me to the Max.   A few of the things I saw on the way up:



Bright colors attract bugs for pollinating

Where I usually stop and hang out with 'my' cactus.

My shoe in the picture gives you the sense of the size of these tiny daisies.

Rocks flow like water down the mountain side

Grit and determination to squeeze out a living on this rock

Amazing Burst of color

Yes it is occupied by a cactus wren. 

View of the top...hadn't gone past where the lady in red is for about 10 years

As I trudged past my usual stopping point in the shade and crested the saddle of the mountain I am muttering to myself that only a person that needs to prove something would push on to the top.  I hadn't climbed to the top very much after having cancer and falling at the top.  Monday I pushed onward and upward...apparently I had something to prove.

Nearing the top.  The last 15 feet required packing up my camera to keep it safe.


I did it.

View of part of the city

Darting scavenger picks and chooses bits and pieces left  behind

On top viewing Other trails in the valley below





3 comments:

Kathy said...

I love it! Well done!

Tundra Woman said...

You have such an eye, Ruth, Thanks again for sharing your journey-in every way. You live in such a different climate and ecosystem than mine, your pictures are both lovely and fascinating to me, FWIW.
I bet you're a bit sore today but in my mind, your hike sounded like the "Best" option to me! Can't wait for spring to arrive here so I can get outside again without 10 min. of getting "dressed:" Boots/snowshoes, heavy coat, mittens etc. It's so clear you love the out doors and nature so I was wondering: Through honoring all these creations, are you not worshipping in the Creator's largest, most beautiful cathedral?
TW

Ruth said...

Thanks Kathy and TW. I was very sore and it is a form of worship. Such a beautiful and amazing world that we live in.