Friday, November 30, 2012

Accepting emotions = respect

Pearl S. Buck

There is an alchemy in sorrow. It can be transmuted into wisdom, which, if it does not bring joy, can yet bring happiness.   Pearl S. Buck


Sorrow, sadness, grumpiness were simply not allowed. I could be happy but not too happy because that was not acceptable either.  A droid child, a doll, to be played with and set aside, ignored for more pressing pursuits.  Emotions, the entire gambit were locked away for survival purposes.

To promote positive self-concept:
2.  Treating children with love and respect.  Children's emotions should be accepted and valued.  ~ Miss C.

I wasn't much better as a parent.  Each of my children could tell you stories of me not acknowledging or validating how they felt.  I am working at changing that.  An incident that lasted all of 3 seconds really upset me last week.  Before counseling, I would have stuffed the hurt feeling in the dark hole that I put all other emotions.  Many hours of counseling were exposing me to my own emotions.  Instead, this time I acknowledged that I felt hurt.  I talked to the person that landed on my trigger that sent me to a really bad place.  I talked about how the incident affected me and my relationship with the other person.  Most importantly I validated myself that I indeed felt what I felt for a real reason.   Too often if an incident is 'small' emotion is not acceptable.  Other times, I have emotions that are totally out of proportion of the event.  Usually with a bit of work, I can uncover the trigger I landed on.  So in this step I choose to accept the emotions I feel through out the day.  I felt real fear early today when the car in front of me backed up at a red light as if I wasn't there.  I laid on my horn and the person stopped inches from my bumper.  I don't know what he was thinking but I was not impressed.  I allowed myself to feel the fear and the anger that the person did anything so stupid.  Hello...Nobody backs up at a stop light it is just an all around bad idea.  The rest of the drive home I processed how I felt about the second in time when I realized the driver almost backed into me.  On my list of things I am thankful for this month I added I am thankful for car horns.  I felt a little like the Who on Horton's flower screaming, "WE'RE HERE, WE'RE HERE, WE'RE HERE!!!" In counseling that is exactly what my emotions did.  I found out that I didn't lack emotions, I disconnected from them.  Reconnecting to emotions is a painful and slow process.  It is easier to raise a child with respect and valuing their emotions than it is to repair the damage.  I think I will rewrite this challenge to what I need:

Treat myself and others with love and respect.  
My emotions need to be accepted and valued by me. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ruth, this is funny timing! I drafted a post yesterday (just about to edit and post it now) about how I had the emotion of "resentment" bred right out of me.

I will not allow myself to feel "negative" emotions. 'Negative' emotions are ones my parents did NOT value in me (or worse!). ;-)

My psychologist points out that all emotions, even those I have labelled 'negative' have a positive purpose. They all serve us in their own way, and they all have vital roles to play.

I wonder what other 'negative' emotions I have stuffed away? Time will tell, I guess! ;-)