Saturday, November 24, 2012

My choices

Kevin Costner
I'm happy about the things I've done. Not always happy about the results, but happy about the decisions, because I made them myself. And I think that's an important way to go through life.

Owning my choices first requires me giving up a life time of living by 'Have-to,' I have-to do this - I have-to do that. I am changing all these 'have-to's to become I choose to do this, I choose to do that. But it is not just the power of positive thinking. There are some things I am now saying, "I do not have to do that."  "I am choosing not to do this."  "I am choosing to do this instead of that." I am learning that when I choose one thing I invariable give up something else. Feeling a bit like my Mario T-shirt showing Mario standing on a pipe with the words "Choose Wisely." I am also learning the frustration of being led up a garden path. Choices that appear to be good and pleasing and feel right that down the path you find out is a back gate out to the garbage pit and the need to back up and decide no that is not the path I want to go on. My sister and I joke about times in our lives when we say, "Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?" This is a spin off from the American idiom "going to hell in a hand basket." One of the earliest steps to empowerment and self confidence is the clear understanding that I choose to.

No comments: