Friday, November 30, 2012

Why I love Rock Bottom...

This is a comment I left at Welcome to Rock bottom:

Why I love the bottom?  The only way I have to go is up.  All the shit is cleared away and I can see what really is.  It is familiar territory.  When I land there again, I know the steps to head back up.  Kind of nice to lay on my back and look at the stars.  The empty void can be decorated beautifully.  My sister and I love the quote, "The truth will make you free but first it will make you really miserable."  The fact that you are writing this blog and this post is you survived.  The worst happened, you are at rock bottom and you are having a party.  You know you said in a comment to me that you think some of what I write is over your head.  Hugs you will soon start to get it because I am writing about what happens when you start getting above rock bottom.  You will get there too.  The freedom I feel now of not trying to meet impossible standards that constantly changing is amazing once you get used to it.  This is when we talk about baby steps, loving and supporting yourself, respecting yourself, and yea my counselor was also very excited when I got to this point.  Let the healing begin.  Zigzag or back and forth steps are just a cha-cha.  Learning to dance in the rain is a beautiful thing.  Do you like fudge?  That is one of my favorites.  I will gladly bring some along.  By the way, you are not alone, it was a smoke and mirror illusion to keep you in the FOG.  Its ok.  You are doing awesome.  Hugs all around.

From the post http://aconsociety.blogspot.com/2012/11/welcome-to-rock-bottom.html

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

In AA we talk about the importance of hitting our "rock bottom". Everyone's rock bottom is different but the way up is the same.

"You don't have to see the whole staircase to take the 1st step." and "progress not perfection" are two of my favourite AA sayings.

With my NFOO, the steps were baby steps but I'm finally out in the sunshine, so who cares how long it took?

Unknown said...

Awesome, Ruth! Thanks for reproducing your comment again here - it's such a good one, it encouraged me so much, and I'm sure it will encourage others. ;-)

And I love Mulderfan's addition of "You don't have to see the whole staircase to take a first step." This also resonates with me right now.

Thank you, Ruth, for pointing out the stars that I can see now that the FOG is gone!

:-) Love and gratitude,
QG