Friday, November 14, 2014

Give up to get better

http://www.purposefairy.com/3308/15-things-you-should-give-up-in-order-to-be-happy/

Purposefairy proposes a list of 15 things to give up:

1. Give up your need to always be right

I didn't think I had this challenge until I realized I actually stress over the slightest details that could be corrected.  Working on this one. 

2. Give up your need for control

Compromise is powerful when used wisely.  Learning to face life as an adventure and allow it to have more of a say in my day to day living.

3. Give up on blame

Doesn't work any way.

4. Give up your self-defeating self-talk

If I wouldn't say those things to someone else than I shouldn't be saying them to myself.

5. Give up your limiting beliefs

"Whether I believe I can or can't, I am right."  I believe Henry Ford shared this.  I was told can't so often, reversing that belief to a "Can do" attitude is a daily challenge

6. Give up complaining

Try it for a day.  Thanksgiving will be a really good day to do this.

7. Give up the luxury of criticism

I believe this goes with #6.  I also remind my self what critic means in art.  Critic is a discussion with knowledge backing up opinion but not only negative. 

8. Give up your need to impress others

Not impressing but also not competing.  I can do things to my own best without worrying what someone else is doing.

9. Give up your resistance to change

So much changed all the time.  Embracing change with enthusiasm is my new challenge.  However, I prefer not to change for change sake...just because it is a change doesn't automatically make it a good thing. 

10. Give up labels

The intent behind this is don't allow negative general feelings apply to a specific problem.  Prejudice keeps me from recognizing opportunities and friendships where I least expect it.

11. Give up on your fears

Fears are a guideline not a whip to rule me.  Listening to healthy fears is desirable if I use the information to create a healthier living environment

12. Give up your excuses

I learned that there are always two reasons I do something, the reason I tell people and the real one.  Authenticity and truth seeking requires me to recognize my own behaviors. 

13. Give up the past

Now that I learned what my past is I better understand the importance of knowing where I came from with an emphasis on FROM, USED TO BE.  Accepting that I changed

14. Give up attachment

I disagree with this one.  Detaching from everything also means no love, no joy, no growth.  Just my opinion on this one. 

15. Give up living your life to other people’s expectations

This on is huge.  My expectations are big enough.  I don't need someone else shoulding on me. 

With all my love,




Well you now have my perspective on these ideas.  Giving up can improve life. 

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

My cousin's wife said giving up on my parents was taking the easy way out. At the time it hurt, but now I know it was an act of courage. I also know it doesn't matter what she thinks.
Giving up unnecessary burdens/expectations sest us free to pursue more important goals.

Ruth said...

Easy to pass judgement when you are not the target. There is nothing easy about walking away from family.