Saturday, December 6, 2014

More than I can handle

When God Gives You More Than You Can Handle by Kristen at We are THAT family - http://www.incourage.me/…/when-god-gives-us-more-than-we-ca…
When grief and suffering strikes, platitudes and kind words don't always help. Remembering that we are loved by the One who CAN handle everything? That is good and true every time.

“God won’t give you more than you can handle.” 

I believe this one line has caused an increase to grief people already feel.  Not only is there circumstances unbearable but they now feel inadequate for not 'coping' or not enough faith to face this challenge.  After all they should be able to handle anything God throws at them.  I did a search for this phrase and came across another post that puts the phrase back into context with the original meaning.  http://livingtruthcorona.org/index.php/god-wont-give-you-any-more-than-you-can-handle  

Paul is writing to the Corinthians.  He writes in 1 Corinthians 1:13-14
 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
 14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

Temptation is not the same thing as other challenges thrown at us.  Job found out how much could be thrown at him and he suffered it.   

An incident from the Old Testament is good example of God giving his people an impossible task.  In Judges 7 Gideon is told to reduce his army to only 300.  In Judges 7:2 the Lord has this to say: 
And the Lord said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.

The army is reduced so that all may know it is with God's help that Gideon's army prevails.  If we can always handle what life hands us, why would we need God?  God asks us to do the impossible.  We are given too much purposely that we may call on God.  I am not expected to handle my challenges alone.  Heavenly Father sent His Son Jesus Christ with an invitation:

Matthew 11:28-29King James Version (KJV) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
 

No comments: