Monday, January 2, 2017

Looking back to move forward

I spend the time between Christmas and New Year looking back to move forward.  I use the time to review how I did this past year to see what I need to do this next year.  This year was a tough year.  I've had tougher but not many.  Physical health took a dump.  Family relations are strained.  Emotional resilience is suffering.  This year was tough.  So now what?

I am adding more consistent scripture study.  That is enlightening.  I am noticing that when people quote scriptures they tend to cherry pick and take things out of context.  I am taking the time to put these scriptures back into context and reading what comes before and after.  WOW.  Some of them get watered down and diluted when taken out of context.  That is going well. 

I am doing less photography but staying more engaged in activities.  Photography tends to put the camera between me and what I am experiencing.  I am working at connecting more in now situations.  I still enjoy photography but I work at not allowing photography be an escape from connecting. 

I bought a bunch of art supplies that I plan to do more art in the coming year.  I am looking forward to doing that. 

I looked at a cooking class and decided with extreme food restrictions for the next while cooking isn't much fun.  I did have fun making rice crispy treats and I have more to make.  Looking forward to that.  I am also reading a children's cookbook.  It takes things back to the very basics.  I still enjoy watching cooking shows. 

I am crocheting more and I am learning new patterns.  That is a continued goal from this past year.

I am analyzing how to best approach the problems facing my parents as they age.  Some I am walking away from.  Others I feel a heavy sense of responsibility.  Not sure what I want to do with this one.  This is when I wish I could talk to my first counselor.  He would always tell me he wasn't God and didn't know the answers.  I would reply he knew more than I did about relationships and feelings.  He always agreed with that.  His words are in a notebook that I am reading slowly.  Maybe I should up the reading in his book?  I'll think on that one.   

School is better than ever.  This is one bright highlight of this year.  After last year with teachers leaving mid year and ending up being a substitute to this year I am now working with 3 excellent teachers, big improvement. 

Physical health is a mess.  I gained back all the weight I lost plus 20 lbs more.  It sucked.  I finally ate whatever because it sucked to work hard and watch the weight pack back on.  My yearly physical revealed my thyroid has gone haywire.  It quit working years ago, I didn't know it could mess up so much.  My stomach problem is back, my last doctor said it would come back to haunt me.  So annoying and frustrating.  I am aware of what I need to do, as I have strength I am working at getting diet and exercise back on track.  I am hoping sleep will improve when I am doing better in other areas.  Aging is tough.  I like the bumper sticker that says, "Growing old is not for sissies." 

I am hopeful that resolving to make healthy choices spiritually, emotionally, and physically, I'll get on track to a much better year this year.  I learned years ago that simple adjustments to what I do with my life are more effective than attempting drastic changes.  I've done drastic changes but I do better when the adjustments are small, consistent and long term. 

To read further about small changes you can read my earlier post:
http://weareone-ruth.blogspot.com/2013/09/small-task.html

Inching along into the New Year. 



No comments: