Saturday, February 26, 2011

Emotion research

I am bummed out.  I tried doing research on my own about emotions and was hit with so much conflicting information I could not sort it out.  I am looking back over past information to see if I can get better information.  I was floored by one author being so proud of working out a way of comparing emotions to the way a computer works.  Are you kidding me?  Computers are completely amoral and are STUPID.  Computers know high and low voltage and that is it.  Now it can do that very fast but anyone that tries to compare humans to computers is an absolute nut case to me.  (I was learning C++ programming and I fixed computers for 15 years, I know how dumb computers can be.)  Another said that emotions can not be denied.  I am sitting here reading going,"Yes, they can."  True, the price for disconnecting from emotions is terrible, but everything I have learned about disconnecting from emotions it is the last resort.  I did it as a last resort about age 9.  Undoing what I did is just as difficult.  In my opinion, if you are hurting so much that you wish you could die and you disconnect, you are just as dead as if you pulled the trigger.  Taking a break is not the same as disconnecting.  A break is the - I will think about this tomorrow - I have to do something right now I will feel and process this later - I can't cope right now, but in a few days I will consider what is happening.  Disconnect becomes as if the emotion never happened.  The interesting thing I discovered that when I found my disconnected emotions, they were completely intact as if I just felt them.  KavinCoach spent a lot of time helping me process a lake of stored emotion that was almost as raw as the day I disconnected from it.  A tough slow process because the emotions that want to be processed are usually the fear based emotions.  Now, that I think about it another thing that has occurred is I will just be doing something mundane like driving or walking or cleaning house and I will get this soft, warm, lovely, glow of the world is just beautiful.  So in an interesting way I am processing the joyful emotions too.  I am excited about what I am learning from NewCounselor.  Emotions have layers.  I watched Shrek.  Ogres have layers.  Does that mean emotions are ogres?  What do you think?

http://www.shrek.com/

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

I drank because I didn't have the skills to deal with my emotions. Maybe disconnecting worked the same way for you.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Neither of us had the skills because the adults charged with providing them were emotionally bankrupt themselves.

That's not a cop out. That's just the way it was BACK THEN.

NOW it's time for us to take responsibility for building those skills ourselves with help from professionals, family and supportive friends.

Recognizing the problem is the 1st step and as the saying goes, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step."

Ruth said...

Mulderfan I agree. Disconnecting worked in an environment that left me few choices at age when knowing what is best is hard to know. I am thankful I found 2 counselors to help me on this journey to emotional health. I appreciate your support and encouragement. Thanks.