Friday, February 4, 2011

Painting

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.  Vincent Van Gogh



I love this quote.  When I changed my major to photography I knew my greatest challenge would be to pass drawing 101.  I took that class first.  I figured if I couldn't pass it there was no point changing majors since it was a required class.  I learned something in that class.  I wasn't bad at drawing; the first drawing teacher I had in 7th grade didn't know how to teach.  She could give assignments and praise kids with natural talent but the fault was not all mine that I didn't do well in her class.  What was profound was her advice to me to NEVER take another art class because I was so bad at it. I didn't for years until I started working in the Art department at the university.  I graduated with honors with a Bachelors in Fine Arts ~ Photography.  True, my painting teacher almost turned purple trying not to laugh when she saw my first self portrait.  I finally gave her permission to laugh and she absolutely roared.  I did get the compliment at the end of her class of getting an A and the honor of Most Improved.  I laughed because the only way I had to go was up.  I don't paint much now other than an abstract mural left in the Art faculty lunch room.  My legacy at the university.  I still draw.  The miracle of drawing is that I have to focus so carefully on what I am drawing that I could reduce pain medication after surgery.  I can calm nightmares in the middle of the night.  My favorite subject ~ great big flowers.  I just realized, I hide my drawings like a secret fetish.  I wonder why.  Maybe with releasing so many secrets my poor brain needs to replace it with a new safe secret.   

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

Wow Ruth! My ungrad major was Art History and I have always been a painter, drawer and creator in one way or another. Now I create props for the local little theater and detailed costumes for my DD when she attends things like ComicCon. I'm presently working on a Mad Hatter costume.

Back in my twenties I did oil paintings to make extra money and I have to say this is one of the few things the Nparents praised me for. When they sold their home a few years ago most of my paintings were thrown in the garbage without my knowledge. Go figure!

Having a creative outlet is one ways I've been able to hide when things got tough. Off I'd go into my own little world...gives the brain a rest from the constant stress.

My DD and cousin are both artists. My cousin's career is just starting to take off, big time...he's sixty!

Big flowers, sounds like Georgia O'Keeffe...wasn't she from your neck of the woods?

Ruth said...

More in common. I sewed for Child's Play for 3 years as a part time job. The year I did 9 plays my family nearly divorced me so now I just sew dresses for me for weddings. :) That is awesome that you do oil paintings. Sorry to here the Nparents threw away your pictures. I bet they were wonderful paintings. I agree, creative outlet is wonderful. Georgia O'Keeffe was from New Mexico, a neighbor of sorts. I have several of her books. I love her paintings.

Laurel Hawkes said...

That's an interesting possibility that certainly makes sense. Glad you've found a way to release more of the secrets, safely.

Ruth said...

Secrets can be fun when they are safe. Not so fun when they are laced with fear and guilt.