Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Best Part....


Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart. - Unknown

I spent a lot of Christmases all stressed out trying to accomplish more than any one person could possibly accomplish.  My own goals far exceeded what was reasonable to do.  In the process I didn't enjoy being with people much.  Interesting thing about growing older and after a lot of hard experience I learned that the people are the important part.  Today started with walking with my sister, then together we attended a nieces soccer game.  Next came a lovely visit to my daughter-in-law and 2 of the grandkids and took time to plant some flowers.  After that I did service for my church and rounded off the evening with my daughter and another grandson enjoying the Christmas lights I found last night.  The funny thing was she knew exactly the place I was talking about so we drove there and walked around the neighborhood.  Realized the reason a 2 year old was not excited about seeing Charlie Brown was because he didn't know who Charlie Brown was or his dog Snoopy.  I had a wonderful day.  My kitchen's a mess, I didn't finish my projects and I can think of a 1000 things I should have done.  But you know, I am really glad I spent the day exactly as I planned it. 


Grandson: "REAL BIG."

Checking his list twice, signs of OCD?



3 comments:

ellen said...

Seems like a really nice and meaningful day. I agree that people are the most important part - you are lucky to have a large family that you relate to well (at least parts of it I suppose). take care

Laurel Hawkes said...

Fun. Learning to have fun. And it was!

Ruth said...

@ellen Yes parts of my family do get along very well, I think it is the parts that are unhealthy and because of their choices will not improve that I value making relationships work. People are all around us and sometimes we need to look outside of our families to develop meaningful friendships.

@Laurel, It was a great morning with you. :)