Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday = FOOD

Oh yea,  I do not think about Christmas without thinking about food.  Rich, chocolaty, gooey, yummy, calorie laden food.  One of the problems with being punished by being put on bread and water, I totally obsess about food.  From Thanksgiving to New Year is one long food fest with breaks of feeling guilty for not eating properly.  My poor cholesterol score trembles as the holidays approach.  Oh yea, it is about the food. 

mulderfan kindly shared her family 'secret' recipe on her blog.
http://muldrfan.blogspot.com/2011/12/secret-cookiereally.html

Here is my all time favorite recipe.  I share it with hope that you can enjoy it, too. 

Cowboy Cake
2 ½ C sifted flour
½ t salt
2 C brown sugar (packed)
2/3 C shortening or butter
Mix all together until crumbly
Save ½ C of mixture to sprinkle on the top before cooking
To the rest of the mixture add
2 t baking powder
½ t baking soda
½ t cinnamon
½ t nutmeg
Blend then add
1 C sour milk* or buttermilk
2 well-beaten eggs
Mix well
Pour into greased cake pan 13x9 or 2 square pans (easier to share)
Sprinkle with saved crumbs
Bake 375° for 25-30 min. Use tooth pick to check for doneness. Glass or dark pans decrease temperature to 350°
Chopped nuts or cinnamon may be sprinkled over crumbs before baking
Best served HOT.

* sour milk made by mixing 1 C milk with 1T vinegar allow to set 10 minutes. 

Sorry I have never had a need to translate this into metric.  Besides tonight I am making "Fantasy Fudge."  It is an awesome recipe that I found on the jar of marshmallow fluff.  The only thing I do differently is I use milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweets.  This recipe helped me beat out a college student in a chocolate war to find the most awesome chocolate.  My tweak on this 'commercial' recipe won.  Raise a glass of eggnog and dig in.  :)

Half eaten "Oreo" Turkey, my son proved these can be eaten in one bite.

Even the vegetables get a Christmas look, thanks to my daughter for the idea.

Decorate with candy canes then EAT them.  Yum!

Latest new addition magical pulled pork cooked by a talented son-in-law.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. That chocolate turkey, I love all of it! Did you know I LOVE candy corn! I want it! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Laurel Hawkes said...

And for those who don't want to use vinegar, lemon juice works, too. :-)