Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What I didn't learn...

Could fill volumes.  The list of 50 things you don't learn at school is a mixed bag.  But you are really up a creek with out a paddle if you don't learn it at home or anywhere else either.  My view of counseling was a 8 year course on living.  Class (sessions) meet once a week, reading and writing assignments, some classes are a walk into hell only to be reminded that this is my past.  Great.  (Read with much sarcasm.)  Each session has varying degrees of discomfort.  Some sessions I come home, curl up in the fetal position on the couch, and don't get up until sometime the next day.  Other sessions require comfort food like Cold Stone Creamery German Chocolate Cake ice cream.  I some times think of counseling as overhauling an engine while you are driving the car.  Or I one time joked that it is more like open heart surgery without anesthesia, wide awake and the pain is intense.  I was taught that getting counseling was a sign that you are weak, lazy or too stupid to deal with life yourself.  After going, counseling is for courageous, intelligent, hard working people that are willing to face their worse nightmares week after week after week.  List of things I didn't learn well surpasses 50.  What I did learn in school, sometimes adults are reasonable and fair.  Hard work can bring positive results.  Listening to criticism and learning from it can raise your grade.  Praise can be given for what I did.  What I learned in counseling could fill volumes.  I started printing out just the emails I wrote and have filled 2 binders and working on a third.  I am still learning.  This week I have looked at where I came from, where in my progress I am right now, and where will that lead me.  My past does not define me but my decisions are rooted there.  I am choosing another path than the one I was placed on as a child.  I choosing to live truthfully and abundantly.  To me abundant living is not about the dollars in your bank account, it reflects the richness of your life and the relationships in it. 

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

Reaching out for help of any kind was seen as a sign of weakness by my NPs, even if it was just getting a neighbour to help you carry in a heavy item.

Now that my DH is gone I often find I have no choice but to ask a neighbour to help me out now and then. One day a neighbour and his friend helped me get a huge freezer to the curb for garbage and when I offered them money the neighbour refused it and said, "Don't ever offer me money again, I just did what neighbours do." I was shocked and moved but when I told my NPs what I thought was a nice story they said it was disgusting that I had asked for help instead of hiring someone.

It's been quite a learning curve for me and I've discovered people actually LOVE an opportunity to help and support a friend or neighbour. Who knew?

As for counseling, the 1st time I saw a counselor I told the GC in confidence and he told my NPs. They ate up the information as it proved what they had said all along, "She's crazy!"

Ruth, you and I know the crazy ones are the people that don't know enough to get the help they need.

Ruth said...

You're right P/M, The NPs also miss out on great opportunities by refusing the gifts of time and talent from others. I am glad you have awesome neighbors. :)