Thursday, February 9, 2012

No memories = No regrets

One of the strange advantages of having no childhood memories I also had no regrets.  Then came counseling....  You know, if anyone makes snide remarks about counseling is for those too weak to do it on their own....Laugh.  My laughter would have an edge of hysteria.  One of the most difficult emotions to process is regret.  Deep heart wrenching sorrow over things I can not change.  I also learned that my past does not define me so I can choose starting now that I will live my life so that I look back on the day without regret.  I set my standard of what is a good day.  I heard from people I care about saying they were OK.  I heard a friend that just finished chemo declare that today she felt stronger.  I had a great session with NewCounselor and he validated that what I figured out was healthy.  I actually felt like I was running out of things to say.  Very awesome.  Today was regret free.  Tomorrow has no guarantees but I will deal with it when I get there. 

Shared by my friend on Facebook.
A nurse shares what she learned from those in her care that were dying. 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

Every day we wake up on the right side of the grass is a chance for a fresh start!

"One day at a time." is not just for alcoholics! We often say goodbye with, "Have a good 24 hours!"

Love this post! It's a nice way to start the day!

Hugs P/M

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan.

Laurel Hawkes said...

Love, love, love the photo, and how it looks when I click on it. New discovery for me. LOL!