Saturday, June 23, 2012

Teach

Aristotle
Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach.


I have always heard this quote quite differently.  I think this is valuable difference.  I worked at a university where artists are hired because of what they can do, but the interesting thing was that no matter how good they were at what they did, it didn't mean they could explain it to someone else.  To me, in my way of thinking, that is part of what a counselor does is teach people.  My experience is that they listen.  I mean really listen and then take all the ramblings and pull out the core issue so the person talking can get a clearer picture of what is really bothering them.  Sometimes it is past problems never resolved and other times it is lack of understanding a life principle.  Like all teachers, it also requires a student to learn.  Too many people enter counseling with a chip on their shoulder daring the counselor to change their lives.  I guess my feelings is why bother going to counseling if you have no intention of changing.  I didn't watch Dr. Phil very often but the one quote I remember most..."Is it working for you?"  If life was working for me, I wouldn't be in counseling.  I am getting healthier.  All the sessions and work are starting to pay off.  I am seeing what a difference 2 good counselors have made in my life.  I appreciate their understanding and their willingness to teach me.



2 comments:

mulderfan said...

"Those that can do. Those that can't teach." was my NF's version. Nice, when your daughter's a teacher!

I've always found the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else. AA's idea is that teaching someone the program, by being their sponsor, is the best way to stay sober.

Evan said...

Excellent that you had two good therapists.

I do think teaching is important - I think people need to know what to do when the counsellor isn't around anymore - so the teaching part is very important.