Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Letting Go and OH NO!

How many times have I heard let go of the past....just let it go?  Only thing is every Mother's Day my past is also my present.  I am working through what to do this year.  I love hearing from my kids.  My daughters and daughter-in-laws are each amazing wonderful moms to our grandkids.  My mother, well if you believe her own press, she's the happiest person she knows and plenty of people will tell me how lucky I am to have her for my mother.  All the years before counseling, it was fairly easy to pull off getting a card and flowers.  I believed them when they told me, "She doesn't realize how hurtful she is being.  You gotta' love her."  Then counseling started.  I realized that my illness, depression and multiple personalities really hurt my kids.  I was devastated.  My kids reassure me that they coped.  I am still working at forgiving myself.  From counseling, I became more aware and  realized that my mother would look around and make sure we were alone before she verbally shred me.  Looking around indicated premeditation.  She knew full well what she was doing and checked to make sure she wouldn't be caught.  If I said anything, she would burst into tears sobbing how cruel I was and I just didn't understand.  She did it before and knew that it worked for her audience.  I moved away for years and that suited me just fine.  Then we moved back into the area, counseling turned my world upside down and inside out.  I know there is plenty of family pressure to ignore the elephant in the living room.  I write reminding myself that I choose to be a victim or not, now.  I am an adult with boundaries in place.  Just recently, I was criticized with how I don't feel the same about family as someone else.  How I long to be able to loving choose a card that tells my mother how wonderful she was in raising me or how she supports me now but I promised myself to stop lying.  Lying to her, my family and most importantly to myself.  For several years now, I bought flowers, mums short for chrysanthemums.  Flowers have a language of their own.  She counts the bouquets and gloats.  I just can't do this any more.  I write about moving from victim to survivor.  Every Mother's Day I doubt myself and if I truly moved to being a survivor.  Have I actually rolled up my doormat?  Am I really setting healthy boundaries?  Or will I buckle under tradition and get something for the woman that gave me birth then expected me to take care of her, belittled me, and set me up to be abused by others?  I admire my sister for stopping all cards, plants or gifts years ago.  I tried my counselor's idea to just keep it low key and neutral.  I thought I was doing fairly well until last month when other family member insisted on celebrating my parents 60th Anniversary.  I went and played with my grandkids.  The level of resentment and simmering rage still seething through me tells me how outraged I still feel about participating at all.  I read other blogs and the dilemma many face like I do.  Endure the criticism and not give a gift or give a gift and resent myself.  I think I am done resenting myself.  Therefore, I'll take the criticism and be absent from Mother's Day. You know, it still amazes me that my kids give me such wonderful cards.  I am thankful for what I have learned about healthy relationships and hope I can continue.  I can not change the past but I don't have to embrace it either.


Progress seems mighty slow sometimes.
    

5 comments:

mulderfan said...

I've now decided that my relationship with my parents is nobodies business but my own. My cousins' wives who haven't seen my parents in years see fit to pass judgement every time I see them. The last time I saw them one felt the need to comment on my NC decision saying it was "sad". I told her I had never been happier and walked away.

I know the only thing I can change is myself. Why should they change? They're perfect just the way they are.

If they're perfect and I'm broken, the question is, "Who broke me?"

Ruth said...

Good question. I agree mulderfan. Waking up this morning, it is not "sad" to be walking away. High five.

Janet said...

I must admit it is fine with me that we always have obligations to be out of town working that weekend. I'm sorry that the "celebration" turned into such a fiasco, and I'm afraid the family will feel reverberations for a while because of the expectations that not all (not just you and sis) could rise to....

jessie said...

It's such a horrible dilemma to be put it: get a card and lie essentially (even with a remotely neutral card) or face consequences. As I wrote on my blog, I get the card because I'm just not ready to push the "fight" that far yet (and I'm not NC, yet). But who knows where the years will take me.

Also, you had mentioned that you are surprised your children still send you cards. From what I see, you've admitted your mistakes to them and have worked to make amends to them. You are trying to change. I've been able to forgive my father because of the same thing, he's apologized and has never discounted my reality of the past.
NM, however, continues to tell me that, despite horribly selfish choices that effected me negatively, I am NOT allowed to feel sad or upset about them. If she even once, acknowledged that she made mistakes or hurt me and worked to be different (even if she failed at times) I could still have a relationship with her. But she continually demands that I lie to her and tell her what a wonderful mother she was and is. It never matters what my feelings are.
I, too, would love to be able to pick out a card with all those lovely motherly sentiments on it for her. What's sad, is that no one can see that part of the reality.

Marsha said...

You could always go the literal route and just tell her "thanks for the body". :)