Sunday, May 12, 2013

Womanhood....

a blessed challenge.

A friends post reminded me today about the positive aspects of women being nurturers.
http://deenar116.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/my-favorite-day-mothers-day/

This year is a turn in my thinking.  I started in January with the NoExcuse work out and Lozilu Mud run challenge.  I am expanding it to eating healthier and take better care of my body.  Most importantly I am changing my thinking.  For years, I defined myself and what I studied on fixing what is wrong with me.  During crisis, this is very important.  However, I am coming out of the chronic-crisis phase of my life.  One of the books MyCounselor recommended was Authentic Happiness.  Very challenging for me to read for a variety of reasons.  The first five chapters, in my opinion, could be considered a scientific 'proof' that happiness is an inside job.  The second half of the book talks about using your strengths to improve yourself.  This nudged me to get the book out of the stack waiting to be read on what happy women do to use their strengths to build a happy life.  Too long, I looked at myself as a person that needs to be fixed.  For a time, I needed to focus on this like a person with a broken leg needs to heal their leg before training to run a marathon.  (No, I do not plan to run a marathon but a 10K this fall is a possibility.)  Now that a large amount of healing occurred I am turning to look again at myself to consider my strengths.  Month of February posts are part of my project. Too often I define myself by what I am not instead of establishing who I am.  

This is an image created by using negative space.   http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Rubin2.jpg
     

Motherhood is a small part of a much larger group of Womanhood.  I testify to anyone willing to listen that if your mother is not what you define as what a woman should be, it does not define who you choose to be.  You can raise your kids differently, you can treat the world differently, because sometimes a woman in your past may give you the understanding of what you do not want to be.  Woman have the power to change.  Some people call it nurturing and ridicule its value.  It is the strength of woman that many fear so they go to great lengths to destroy women and their roles.  Women's power is in their desire to change their world.  Their desire to bring beauty, creativity, culture, kindness, understanding makes a difference in every home, office, classroom, hospital, store, every work place where women work they can exert their influence.  One of the women I admire is Mother Teresa, a small petite lady that went to India to bring comfort to the dying.  She was told repeatedly it was impossible; she could not stem the flow of misery.  She didn't care, she went forward any way creating a house for the homeless to die in dignity.  In the process, she showed the world that a determined woman can change anything.  We make a difference when we send a hand-made card to a friend.  We make a difference when we post your story on line and invite others to move forward too.  We make a difference when we teach in the classroom.  We make a difference when we write a book that shares our perspective.  We make a difference every time we stand firm and say, "Who I am and what I believe is important."  In our homes, in our neighborhoods, in our on-line communities (I am a member of the mulderhood), in our cities, in our countries, in our world women are powerful agents of change.  When we know our value and worth we build with our hearts a different world than many imagine possible.

I am thankful that I am a woman.  I recognize that Christ values women.  His birth started with Mary, His mother.  He first announced to the world his role as Savior of the world to the woman at the well.  He sensed and showed compassion and mercy to the woman that touched the hem of his robe.  He wept with Mary and Martha before he raised Lazrus from the dead.  He showed concern for His mother Mary as he hung on the cross and entreated John to care for her.  The first person that saw Him resurrected was a woman.  I do not doubt that Christ values women. He touched my heart when I felt I was all alone.  I believe in Christ and He is aware of me.  He challenges me to be my best self.

To women everywhere, let us celebrate together our strength.

This poem is written by a man but it was Mother Teresa that made it famous because she lived it.

The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith
  1. People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
    Love them anyway.
  2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    Do good anyway.
  3. If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
    Succeed anyway.
  4. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do good anyway.
  5. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway.
  6. The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
    Think big anyway.
  7. People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
    Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
  8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway.
  9. People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
    Help people anyway.
  10. Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    Give the world the best you have anyway.
© 1968, 2001 Kent M. Keith
"The Paradoxical Commandments" were written by Kent M. Keith in 1968 as part of a booklet for student leaders. 

No comments: