Monday, June 24, 2013

Off to see the Wizard

I love Kara's perspective of the Wizard of Oz.

http://kara-throughthelookingglass.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-different-take-on-wizard-of-oz.html


My sister, Judy, pointed out that Battle Buddy's were posting so many awesome posts because this month is PTSD awareness month.  I am aware of it all the time.  I was so excited reading Kara's post about what she learned from the Wizard of Oz.  I watched this movie since I was a little girl.  The Wicked Witch scared the bejeebers out of me.  I was so focused on the Wicked Witch I didn't pick up on what Kara noticed immediately.  She applies it to narcissistic people but it also works with PTSD. 

It's interesting that the characters needing those things appear in that order: because a brain is needed first, to work out what is going on, a heart second, to be able to feel what we have been numbing for so long and courage last, to be to stand up for ourselves.

 She pinpointed so exactly what I needed to go through to fight PTSD.  I needed a brain to work out what was happening.  I worked at a real disadvantage for a long time because I didn't have the background education to identify the problems and what they meant.  I knew something was wrong but I needed to educate myself a lot.  Reconnecting my Heart was brutal.  Numbing works because you feel no pain....but people forget that you feel no grief, no sadness, no happiness, no satisfaction, no joy or any other emotion.  Numbing numbs EVERYTHING.....it is why it is described as gray.  Courage is absolutely necessary and I love that Kara pointed out it is an emotion you feel.  Being numb kept me from feeling courage.  Wow Wow WOW.  This is a just amazing.  Thanks Kara for sharing your perspective. 


1 comment:

Kara said...

You're welcome Ruth, I'm glad it resonated with you. I guess the fact that I had not seen the film before allowed me to look at it from a different perspective, since I had no pre-conceived ideas or memories attached to it.