Friday, June 21, 2013

Starting over


How to Start Over When Your Life Feels Shattered

HAYLEY HOBSON | JUNE 15, 2013 | LIVINGWORKING

http://www.positivelypositive.com/2013/06/15/how-to-start-over-when-your-life-feels-shattered/


Hayley Hobson's article reminded me of the day I was laid off.  After working over 9 years with a company they eliminated my position.  My daughter came to comfort me than evening only to be met with me being ecstatically happy.  Yes, I was shocked and disappointed but the last several years were filled with mounting stress due to office politics that I neither understood or cared to.  I probably got the boot because I didn't care to meet the rising demands of a person that had no idea what I did.  Sometimes when a big change occurs it is an opportunity to reassess goals and direction.  I still remember visiting with a classmate at my 20 year class reunion.  She talked cheerfully about changing careers.  She worked hard to become a high powered lawyer only to realize she hated what she did.  She chose to start over and run a bed and breakfast in the country away from all she worked so hard to do.  Too many times I focus too much on what went wrong instead of looking around for a different opportunity to do things right. I am still working on how to do this.  After 3 years I am finally missing the challenge of working with computers but I am not sure I want the headaches, stress, and frustration that earmark that career.

1 comment:

TR said...

Yes, me2 - I look often at what goes wrong and can miss the opportunity. NM can train their children to keep focusing on how they messed up to get it right the next time, instead of dropping it all together and saying - this isn't working, go onto something else. I realised I picked up this trait very well from her. I face career challenges today and not sure about it all either.