Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Why settle for normal?


www.goodreads.com
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."


This first popped up on Facebook.  When I went to counseling and found out that I functioned in pieces, I became obsessed with becoming 'normal.'  I wanted all my memories back; I wanted to be like everyone else.  Counseling did not go as I expected at all.  Counseling challenged my very existence.  I did end up integrating but far from 'normal.'  I learned that fuzzy memories can be a real blessing.  Being like everyone else is highly overrated.  I am now trying to figure out just where I am going with what I know and who I am.  I was astonished to realize after integration that functioning in pieces was how I coped with PTSD.  After integration, KavinCoach taught me a whole new set of coping skills.  Now, I am using all those skills to take care of me and grow into the woman I always believed I could be.  I appreciate MyCounselor for continuing my counseling as I become more emotionally independent.  I am so thankful for everyone that helps me on this amazing journey called life.




























2 comments:

Ellen said...

I like your photos and enjoyed the sequencing - made me think of all kinds of things...They seem hopeful.

TR said...

I like the quote and how you tie into your own journey. Normal has become a word that has lost its meaning along the way unfortunately. xxoo