Monday, January 19, 2015

1963

A turbulent year.  John F Kennedy was assassinated.  Martin Luther King gave his stirring "I have a Dream" speech.  He was also assassinated 5 years later.  Standing by my desk to morn the death of President Kennedy is one of my memories that survived my own turbulent childhood.  I grew up with the debate and bigotry surrounding Martin Luther King, Jr.  In my own personal quest for understanding I read Black Like Me, Nigger, and To Sir- With Love.  I wanted to understand.  I lived in a predominantly white area in Arizona.  The black section of town in South Phoenix was to be avoided.  My quest for understanding left me with more questions than answers.  However, I learned to admire Martin Luther King, Jr.  I am thankful that there is a day to honor him.  He wanted to change the world and by standing up and speaking out he did.  The World is not perfect.  There is still plenty of hate, but he offered a solution and attempted to share his views.  

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
Martin Luther King Jr.
Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.
Martin Luther King Jr.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
Martin Luther King Jr.
 
If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.
Martin Luther King Jr.
 

No comments: