Friday, June 29, 2018

Awesome time

Wizard's World of Harry Potter, Despicable Me, and Transformers crammed together into 2 days of awesome fun.  I planned and prepared and chose to go with the flow.  My daughter invited me to Universal Studio.  Grandson and I enjoyed the wilder rides.  We all enjoyed the less intense rides.  Both were lots of fun.  I worried and fretted over being able to eat.  I found out last year, I am extremely allergic to all forms of soy.  As my doctor said, "Soy is in everything."  Restaurants rely heavily on soy in all its forms, oil, lecithin, flour and protein.  Going out to eat is a real challenge.  I usually look up my choices in advance.  Universal Studios does not have that option.  I fretted.  Packed a full lunch.  We ate at the 3 Brooms in Hogsmeade....Oh my goodness.  I sent an email to Universal Studios and they recommended asking for what I needed.  I did. 

Back up a bit.  Over 15 years ago when I was in counseling my therapist gave me home work to ask for something that was not already given to me.  I remember going and asking for bread-sticks.  I was a nervous wreck but I did it.  My counselor was stunned at how difficult it was for me to ask for the simplest things.  Now I am asking for something that may add extra work and may not even be available.  Other restaurants had made it quite clear that accommodating my 'no soy' request was not likely.  So I gathered up my courage and walked to the guy taking orders and asked him what was available that was soy free.  He asked me to wait and he would get the chef.  I work at a school that teaches culinary so I know that the Top Chef has the tallest hat.  Yup.  Top Chef came out to talk to me.  I explained that I would like to eat something that was soy free.  He suggested a chicken sandwich.   I commented that most breads have soy.  Nope not his bread.  He made me a delicious chicken sandwich with salad.  Most dressings are made with soy oil.  In two little cups he placed lemon juice and olive oil.  What a fantastic experience.  He went above and beyond all my past experiences to make sure I had a delicious soy free lunch.  It was so yummy. 

If you have a chance to go to Hogsmeade at Universal Studio, stop in at the 3 Brooms for a delicious meal. 




No comments: