Monday, July 16, 2018

Reset myself

This summer is an opportunity to reset myself.  Several of the pages I visit offered assistance at a price to put myself on track to attaining my goals.  Summer time I am not working and no income so I can't afford these helpers.  However, that doesn't stop me from getting myself back on track.  Of course, I added prayer to my desire to see what I needed to do to get myself back on track and what do I get?  A lesson at Church that it is all about the people.  I was trained to be task oriented.  In fact, growing up efficiency reached godlike proportions. (Check out my sister's post: https://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2018/07/16/efficiency-falacy/)  I could get a job done but still get punished if I didn't do it fast enough.  My own kids, I let them take their time because they will figure out on their own they don't want to spend all evening doing chores so hurry up to do something else.  So back on track of the post.  This summer was unusual.  Life changes and a few choices on my part left me hanging out at home for most of the summer.  I am loving it.  I also discovered this year that the swelling in my legs was not caused by sitting at my sewing machine.  Instead I found out it was part of my reaction to soy.  So back on task again.  I needed to get myself reoriented to the original goals I set in January.

Exercising, not so much.  I love the meme about how long rabbits live, hopping around for 8 to 10 years, verses tortoises that move slowly for 150 years.  However, my main goal behind exercising is not extending my life but improving my core strength and quality of life.  Hmmm.  Part of my summer exercise is sifting and sorting gravel.....a mound of it.  It is requires the use of the core muscles and continues to challenge me.  I like it too.  I can see actual progress as I create little mounds of dirt that are headed eventually to increasing the depth of our flower bed.  However, on several occasions I stopped work not because I was done but a neighbor came over to say hi.  Less done, not efficient but I put people first.  It will take longer to move the dirt.

I am also cleaning by actually completing projects.  I have a room full of projects and I am actually doing them completed a host of baby blankets and crocheted baby hats that were donated to a local organization.  It feels good and hits on the idea that completing projects is about people.  How many times do I brush people aside to finish jobs, task and busy work?  So the projects are for other people and family.  It is getting me out and mixing with people.  I have plans for one or two more projects that might get delayed because I am learning that people are not efficient.  They take time.  They take energy and I think instead of resetting myself back on the track to getting task done efficiently, I'm going to plan to interrupt my busy work more and take time to spend time with people.

Yup, I am resetting all right but I won't be efficient or master every task because I am going to place my goals at spending more time with people.  A challenge for me because I still need alone time to recharge my emotional batteries.  Wish me luck as I slow down and take time to Say HI.  It just isn't efficient, maybe time for a rebellion against efficiency.

No comments: