Sunday, April 14, 2019

Thankful

Today I am thankful to be alive.  On Friday, a new heater unit was installed in our house.  I had trouble waking up Saturday morning.  After going to my granddaughter's volleyball game I came back to the house and walked in and froze.  I could smell gas.  Natural gas has no odor of its on so they intentionally add chemicals that smell bad.  I went out side to call my husband.  His phone chose that morning not to work.  I woke up my father-in-law begging him to get up.  When he smelled the gas I haven't seen him move this fast since he came to live with us.  I quickly got him outside and opened all the doors and windows.  I felt terrified because in that moment I realized I had no idea how to turn the gas off.  Thankful DH (darling husband) drove up and quickly turned off the gas while I went to my Dad's.  An hour later the house was clear and safe to return. 

We lived in Texas many years ago when they had a severe drought.  The dirt pulled away from the houses and in one weekend 11 houses blew up.  I realize that I could go from calm to sheer terror in less than 0.1 seconds.  I also stayed thinking enough to clear out the house and do what needed to be done to get Father-in-law to safety.  Also asked for directions to be posted in the house on how to shut off gas.  I won't remember things like this so I plan to put a posting so when I open the door I can see what to do.  I am so thankful that we discovered the problem in time.  I am thankful that the weather is gorgeous so a night without heating is no disaster.  I am thankful to be alive. 


No comments: