Monday, October 25, 2010

Team Work


I am learning a lot these days about the importance of team work.  Everywhere you look you see team building posters, hear about team building retreats, even commercials jump in with team building products.  So who is on my team?
When I had cancer I had the GP doctor that picked up on the information reported by the doctor that read my 2nd mammogram that I had a problem.  Then I was sent to a surgeon that sent me on several more rounds of tests with ultrasounds and followup mammogram.  The the biopsy with the surgeon, anesthesiologist, many nurses and others to assist.  Then round two came with the same surgeon, different anesthesiologist, more nurses and more people assisting at every level.  It was an amazing experience to have all these people working together to help me beat cancer.  Now in celebration every year I walk with my daughter's team in the Komen Race for the Cure with a over 30,000 people on the team to beat cancer.  
Two years after cancer I started marriage counseling.  It started easy enough.  I wanted to learn how to communicate.  I figured it would be a summer project.  After all it was less than 7 months from the time I found out I had cancer until after the second surgery.  A little emotional problem, couple of months tops.  I planned for 4 months; after cancer this should be easy.  Was I ever in for a rude awakening.  Not only did it take much longer than the original 4 months, about 5 years into counseling KavinCoach asked if I would rather be a pioneer suffering on the Great Plains in winter or do counseling?  My reply was simple, I would rather have cancer again then to do this.  With cancer I had a huge team helping me.  
This week my eyes were opened to the fact that I still have a team.  I have friends that are amazing.  Family members that are supportive.  Web links that have led to others in different places.  My team isn't huge like for the cancer walks but I decided it is more like the teams that climb Mount Everest.  A majority of my team members are struggling with emotional issues or have already moved through counseling and understand what I am up against. They listen when I babble out my frustration.  They send encouraging emails or notes when I am having a rough time.  They share suggestions that help me take another step forward.  Or they comfort me when a back slide happened.  One such friend shared an excellent idea that would help me.  I thanked her and said I would try the same.  Her email back was a question, "Isn't that like the blind leading the blind?"  I decided ~ no.  We are both aware of the challenges we are facing.  We both want to move forward.  Like hikers on Mount Everest, we have chosen to connect together to help each other move forward.  God has blessed me with some amazing team members.  Some of you read my blog.  Others don't.  This week I had to really open my eyes and I am thankful to so many people that each help out in different ways.   Do you have a blog that you share your challenges and your triumphs?  To help with a little team building, if you have a blog that you share your own struggles and would like to add your blog to my resource page, drop a link in the comment box and we can multiply the connections.  
One page that I am starting to frequent that is not for the faint at heart is a web page called http://www.bandbacktogether.com/  
This blog you can share your hurt and the support is amazing.  I believe it is moderated in a way that helps a lot of people find a voice and a place to say, "This was lousy."  Pick and choose what you want to read.  
 “Always Loved, Never Forgotten” at http://www.alwaysloved.org/ Here is the introduction to the web page:
Do you have someone you really want to share with the world?
This site is for anyone that would like to share someone with the world, the lessons they taught us, and the ripple their loss left behind with the world. They may be gone from this world but they still mean so much! This site is for YOU!
Share your grief, joy, pain, and most of all the person that left you behind with the world! If you’d like to send me a word document with an article about someone you’d like to share on this website please contact me on my website.
JD
Deena's Place has some beautiful poetry that I have shared and enjoyed combining her words with my pictures.
Do you have a tough task?  Who are your team members?  I looked around at the people on my team and feel blessed by what has led each one into my life.  I am saying a prayer of thanks as to how each was led to me.  

No comments: