Monday, July 18, 2011

Living Rightly

He who postpones the hour of living rightly is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out before he crosses.   Horace

Living Rightly - doing everything perfectly, finding the best way to do things before you begin anything.  Wasting a way for that perfect moment in time.  I am starting to learn that living is what I do when I am waiting for my life to happen.  How many times have I said, "Well things will be better when __________ happens."  You can fill in the blank with almost anything you want.  I thought when integration happened then I could solve all my problems.  It didn't occur to me that I would have a new set of problems and some of the old problems hung around to share the adventure.  Really!  I spent the month of June thinking about where I am now and where I want my life to go.  I am making plans.  I am setting things in motion.  I also know that life can change in a heartbeat.  Ten years ago this summer I went to the doctor's office and they told me that I needed to go in for a biopsy to check for cancer.  I was calm and confident.  I was only in my 40s.  The shock I felt the first week of September that I had cancer didn't wear off until September 11 when I watched the planes crash into the Pentagon, a field, and 2 towers over and over again on all 20 computers in the lab.  My world was rocked on a personal and national level.  Now I believe that Living, really living, True to myself is the best thing I can do.  I will never be a millionare. I will probably never travel the world.  All is right in my world when I am privledged to visit my children's homes and listen to their loving conversation and the laughter of their children's voices.  I think sometimes I need to readjust my priorities.  Enjoy your day where ever you are at with who ever you are with for that is Living.

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

Living in the "now", twenty-four hours at a time is very liberating!

Hugs, P/M

Jenafer said...

Truth is the simplest form of honesty. Live it and be open to what comes. Love you!

Laurel Hawkes said...

Working on learning how to do that.

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I'm guilty of the "when this happens, then I will (fill in the blank). You are on an exciting path.