Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reverse Engineer

Working as a computer tech for 15 years gives me an interesting vocabulary.  Reverse Engineering was originally used to crack codes and copy programs.  (A few companies that I won't name used this to steal programing code.)  Basically the technique looks at the results then works backwards to see what code needs to exist to create those results.  Now, when I have an extreme reaction to a situation I start with the bad reaction then start working through a process of what happened before that, what happened before that, slowly working backwards until I zero in on the trigger that set the whole reaction in motion.  Many of my counseling sessions are discussions on why I react very badly in certain situations.  At first I couldn't figure out the reaction/trigger connection.  KavinCoach walked me through the process over and over again until I could figure some of them out myself.  I still struggle and this is why I now meet with NewCounselor.  He is finishing the process of training me to resolve my own problems instead of going straight to melt down with spiralling depression.  Some days I am just plain tired of walking through my life land minds.  Then I remind myself that the more I can deactivate, neutralize, or occasionally isolate personal land minds the happier and more independent I can be.  I am learning that severe PTSD is like type one diabetes I have it for life but I can control it with proper self care.  I am in the process of learning proper self care.  Not easy being raised by a narcissistic and my concern about becoming an unhealthy narcissistic sometimes interferes with learning healthy self care.  I dislike facing a cure that is worse than the disease.  I have faith in my counselors and myself that I can learn to live a healthy, happy and productive life.  My past does not define me but sure can make living in the present an interesting challenge.  My faith in my Savior teaches me that there is healing that lasts for eternity.    

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

Fascinated by this technique Ruth! I'm still working on respond rather than react but then I'm thinking this might be the next step? Am I right or am I not understanding?

Thanks Ruth!

Hugs as always, P/M

Ruth said...

Reverse engineering is used to figure out why I react the way I do. It is the step before learning what I need to do to learn a different way to react. If I don't know what sets me off, I can't prepare a better response. Kind of like doing research in to why I respond the way I do. Does that help?

Laurel Hawkes said...

Thanks, Ruth. This helped me put some things in perspective.

For me, responding became easier if I could figure out what the real problem was and not the convenient or surface/acceptable problem.

People think I'm mean to my NM because I come across short to the point of being rude. They are reacting to what's on the surface, what they see. NM is trying to be helpful, from their perspective. They don't see that if I try to be nice, then NM becomes increasingly demanding.

It made a huge difference, to me, to finally realize that I wasn't responding to what was being said, but to what I knew was coming and cutting it off before it started. I'm refusing to be a convenient doormat.

Does that make sense?

I would not have survived with my faith in my Savior.

Ruth said...

Yes Laurel it does. Dynamics of relationships with people are often far more complicated than what appears on the surface.