Thursday, July 7, 2011

Persevarant Ultramarathon Runner

One of my positive web pages shared the story of  Cliff Young, a long distance runner in Australia.  "Every year, Australia hosts 543.7-mile (875-kilometer) endurance racing from Sydney to Melbourne. It is considered among the world's most grueling ultra-marathons. The race takes five days to complete and is normally only attempted by world-class athletes who train specially for the event."

Cliff was 61 years old when he entered this race for the first time.  The judges almost didn't let him enter for fear of his safety.  The old farmer assured them it was no different then herding sheep without a horse.  The race began and he fell far behind.  The raced lasted for 5 days.  No one explained to Cliff that he was supposed to sleep each night.  Like the story of The Tortoise and the Hare, while the other racers slept Cliff persevered and shuffled along down the road.  Spoiler....He won the race with a new record.  Perseverance pays off at any age.  Keep going....You are doing great. 

http://www.elitefeet.com/the-legend-of-cliff-young


3 comments:

mulderfan said...

Good one, except where you refer to him as "old". He's four years younger than me and I don't think of myself as old!

Hugs, P/M

Ruth said...

Cliff was 61 years young. :) You planning to do an ultramarathon P/M? Besides, I was sharing what the article said and that was how they referred to him. I have noticed that the older I get, the older being old is. When I was a teenager everyone over 30 was old. Now, my kids are that age and they are just spring chickens. Perspective is everything.

Laurel Hawkes said...

I remember reading out this. So cool.