Monday, September 26, 2011

Too much input

Audrey Hepburn
Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book, and remembering - because you can't take it in all at once.

Today, I started out by reading one of the blogs I follow and thought wow I need to share my poem about being like shattered glass and how stained glass windows are made out of shattered glass.  Then another blog had a favorite poem "Do it Anyway." Then another wrote about someone telling her that only soldiers get PTSD.  From this burst a whole new bunch of post about all the misunderstandings and myths about living with PTSD.  Medical people aren't much better than anyone else in understanding how this disrupts your life.  Then I thought about my friend that felt discouraged that the PTSD didn't go away.  More and more input and I need to sort it all out.  Today, I will share with you my evening adventure.

My talented daughter teaches Zumba class, which is a fun and wonderful way to really get a work out.  She encouraged me to take the class and reminds her class to respect our bodies.  I love her class.  She is going to be having a baby in the next few weeks and Zumba was put on the list of things she can't do for awhile.  I have experimented with other classes offered at the dance studio.  Tonight I thought I was attending the same type of class I did last week.  Surprise the teacher was getting yoga training and dumped me into "Awkward Dancing 101."  I am not kidding.  That really is the name.  I saw my daughter in the studio and asked her what it was.  She hmmed and hawed and finally said that the teacher was good and to "keep an open mind."  Not totally reassured I went into class.  The teacher sits us in a circle and starts to explain, "This class is just what it is about those Awkward feelings we have inside."  Well, I certainly have bucket loads of those.  Next, she explained that we were NOT to run into the walls.  Seeings that one wall is mirrored, I would say that is a brilliant idea.  I did note that she did not clarify whether or not we would be running into each other.  She asked us not to do anything that would require giving CPR or an ambulance.  Good thing the only lights on are twinkle Christmas lights or they would have seen the color drain out of my face.   Just before getting up to start dancing she gently reminds us that we can have fun just about anyway we want to and to keep our clothes on.  I am now putting my trust in my daughter.  She knows that I can totally freak out.  After all these dire warnings the music begins and I had the best time ever.  I felt like I was about 10 years old again when I would sneak down stairs and dance all by myself.  I had a blast.  I didn't get as much of a work out as I do in my daughter's class but I am certainly looking for this class on the calendar to sign up again.  What an adventure.