Sunday, November 27, 2011

After holiday recovery

I loved Thanksgiving, yet I seem to be in recovery now.  Yesterday, I didn't do the shopping I needed to do.  I didn't go out and get things done that I needed done.  I realized I am in full retreat.  I am starting to catch up on reading blogs.  Reading other people's blogs inspire me and provoke me to think about things that I some times prefer to keep shut out.  Today, I was reading and enjoying vwoopvwoop's http://vwoopvwoop.wordpress.com/ posts and art.  I miss taking art classes since I have graduated from college.  I miss critiques.  The interesting thing about critiques was the opinion of most of the professors was that it was an opportunity to discuss a piece of work with knowledge and understanding of art.  Rarely were the critiques allowed to be turned into a "put down" session.  The whole thing was if you like it, why do you like it.  If you don't, you better be able to back that up, too.  I also appreciated seeing things from someone else's perspective.  I grew to rely on the feed back to improve what I was doing.  Now that I write it, I realize I like doing the same thing with my blog.  I appreciate the feedback in comments.  Your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Over at vwoopvwoop a particular piece really set me to thinking:
Repression in Action http://vwoopvwoop.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/repression-in-action/
It is done as a diptych, two pictures together that each could stand alone but their power increases in the pairing.  I wrote a comment that I realized I was restraining myself from writing an entire post in the comment box.  Rather than overload the box I decided to finish the comment here.

Things come with clarity and intensity then the mind covers and obscures that memory. I think your pictures describes that process very well. Thank you for creating a connection that I understand.

It is not often I can find someone that can describe so well a process that I deal with every day.  Repression, (http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/ss/defensemech_4.htm) the very essence of my survival and the basis of confusion.  One of the choices I made before integration was not to retrieve all my repressed memories.  I waffle back and forth if it was the best choice.  Some times I relish the comment "fuzzy is good."  Other times I am frustrated with how I behave and what is the basis behind my behavior.  I feel frustrated when my behavior seems strange to myself.  Whenever this is happening, there is usually a story behind it that my mind is desperately trying to keep suppressed.  Repressed memories are hotly debated when convictions for offenses occurred and it turned out the recovered memories were false. (Note: Not all recovered memories are untrue.  Some are horrific and hard to believe but still true.  Unfortunately, the abuser uses the victim's own willingness to not want to believe someone in their life would intentionally harm them.)  Misunderstandings occurred between my sister and I when I acted as if nothing bad happened in our childhood.  She hadn't considered the possibility that my mind repressed my past so completely that in my mind nothing bad had happened.  She was astounded when she understood how completely I wiped out my own past.  So why wasn't I delighted or even happy with not remembering.  I should have been able to move forward with my life.  Only it doesn't work that way.  A repressed memory doesn't remove it or process it.  Much like vwoopvwoop's painting the image is painted over.  The memory of the experience is lurking behind the curtain of my subconscious much like the Great Oz.  It influences or even controls my actions and I feel a bit like a marionette dancing to a tune that not even I hear.  Counseling sessions often involve pulling back that curtain.  Often, once exposed to the light of day, I find that the memory no longer has the ferociousness that I once feared.  Occasionally the memory is just as big and ugly as I feared.  Through counseling I work through how I can wrap my mind around it.  Sometimes it is the acceptance that it is in my past.  Sometimes it is the understanding that children are manipulated by cruel adults.  Sometimes I need the opportunity to grieve the incident that caused some form of loss.  Repression sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse.  Thank you vwoopvwoop for creating a painting that describes this process so well.

5 comments:

ellen said...

I struggle with the problem of repression too Ruth, and I like your description of it. One of the first things I thought, when I became more aware of this process, was, well, it's repressed - let's keep it that way. What's wrong with forgetting bad stuff? But as you say, forgotten doesn't mean it's not having it's evil effect....

The part about art and memory is real interesting also. I'll go take a look.

mulderfan said...

I sometimes feel that you're a bit too hard on yourself, Ruth. We all have days where our "to do" list just doesn't get covered and that's OK!

Give yourself time and patience. You have had a lot to deal with but IMO two steps forward and one step back IS still progress!

Some memories are fading for me because I am finally beginning to accept that no matter how often I run them around on the hamster wheel things that happened in the past are beyond my control. When I accept them and let them go they begin to slowly drift away. This understanding gives me the peace and serenity I crave.

Love and hugs P/M

Anonymous said...

i came over here to offer up my support as you always do for me, and lo and behold, i'm getting attention here too! ;)
hearing about your process with integration and the choice you made to not recover all memories is very important to me. i struggle so so soooo much with the concern that the blips of memory i experience are tied to experiences that aren't real.
and actually, i'm going to piggyback on what you've done here, because what i want to write is much longer, so i'm going to respond via a post back at the blog. this is getting to be a conversation of sharing! :)
thank YOU, Ruth, for your openness and honesty about your experience. it genuinely helps me, and though it's a very scary road ahead for me, integration or no, i feel much better about walking it knowing that others have done so before me, and come out the other side stronger. <3
ps, i don't know why i picked such an awkward blog name, haha, you can just refer to me as Hats. ;)

Ruth said...

Hi Ellen, I am glad what I wrote helped you. Art reaches pass the barrier of words and allows us to share feelings. It unlocked my past in ways that counseling couldn't.

Thanks mulderfan, you are right. I am like everyone else that needs down time after a big event. I appreciate the reminder not to be so hard on myself.

Thanks Hats, (I will keep that name in mind.) I love your art work and it is showing me things that I have tried to ignore. I believe that blogging does become a conversation of sharing. DID is tough no matter which path you take but it helped us survive even tougher stuff. I admire your courage too. :)
PS vwoopvwoop is an excellent description of switching and it is awkward to switch, makes total sense.

Laurel Hawkes said...

That painting really does describe it well. In The Project I use specific examples only because they're the only ones I remember, and they're so few.

And you're starting to remember, because you bring up incidents I don't remember. In fact, I'm starting to realize how much I don't remember, but what I do is so vivid it might have happened last week.

You didn't collapse. You didn't black out. You didn't quit. You took a break. So, next year, plan a break. I spent all day Sunday alone, seeing no one. It helped.