Friday, March 2, 2012

Validation from a friend

KK
Their is a lot of emphasis put on "behavior modification" and in a lot of cases, it is the correct course for change. However, I have a saying: until you deal with the core of your being and the injuries that wrote on the slate of your soul, behavior modification is like putting "frosting on shit." Pain is a breaking of the shell. It is a sign that the physician within us wants to heal us. If those around us cannot understand that, they have a problem, not us. If you have even one close friend to "let it all out" with, you are blessed. ♥
Sometimes the one you need to tell is a counselor. Several reasons why. Once you stop paying them, they go away. They have talked to enough other people with problems you can get some idea of what doesn't work and suggestions that can really help.  Their feelings are not engaged with you personally so they can give you the benefit of a different perspective.  I depend heavily on that difference.  If what I was doing was working then I wouldn't need to consider a change. 

In light of what I have decided to do, this was validation that there is something rotten I still need to extract or deactivate from my past.  As much as I would LOVE to leave my past in my past it still interfers with my life now.  Like plunging through a monster size spider web bits and pieces tend to cling.  I enjoyed the drawing my counselor did of a can of worms.  We talked about how much I have already cleaned out.  I am beginning to believe that some of the squiggly things left are leaches not worms.  They can suck the life right out of me.  I am hoping that shining light on them they will wither away and die into my past where they belong.

4 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

God bless good counselors. Some of those pesky things feel like leaches. Here's to putting an end to them.

mulderfan said...

The objectivity of counseling is vital. A true friend is deeply connected on an emotional level and is incapable of giving unbiased advise.

I find it liberating to tell all to someone who will NEVER judge me or repeat what I have said.

Sometimes we're disheartened because we don't "connect" with a counselor. Keep trying! It's a bit like dating. Very rarely is the first person we date the one we end up marrying. Keep "dating" until you find the right counselor for YOU!

Glad you lucked out twice in a row, Ruth.

Hugs P/M

Anonymous said...

Hello Ruth

Yes it is better to see a counsellor, as you said ‘When you stop paying them they go away.’ Also, being emotionally detached, they don’t go home and fret about their clients. Because those closest to us love us, they can’t bear to see us unhappy, it distresses them.

Molly

Anonymous said...

There is one that will never leave you nor forsake you ...and it doesn't cost money....! wink wink