Saturday, April 20, 2013

Define the problem

I am continuing with the article by Purposefairy:
 http://www.purposefairy.com/7805/9-truths-about-letting-go-of-opinions-that-taint-us/


2. Self-Realization and Repair Kits

 I read this paragraph over several times.  To me, this means I need to define the problem ...where are my hurts and what are my unfulfilled needs.  Then I need to take the problem to my Savior and work out a plan to give up the hurt to Him and work out a plan to find peace.  My desire to follow Christ leads me to change myself to become more aligned with His teachings.  My higher self is the one that wants that connection.  Each person has their own understanding of what that higher self is.  I liked the quote about religion being about the church and spirituality about my own experience.  I happen to believe that I need them both.  My religion is useless without my inner spirituality aligned with principles of Christ's Gospel.  My spirituality needs the refinement of rubbing shoulders with others in my religion.  I don't see the two parts as separate but a strong connection between my religion and my spirituality.  I was blessed with an excellent counselor that helped me understand what was wrong.  I realize that many people find it hard to believe that I couldn't see my own problems, they were hidden from me.  I knew something was very wrong with me but the very essence of multiple personalities is to hide, especially from myself.  I measure my progress in years.  Day to day doesn't seem much different but when I compare myself to where I was a year ago or 10 years ago the change is quite startling.  Too often I want to see the change in myself right away but like a tree or anything else growing takes time. 

3. Inherent Beauty and Perfection

I read this and recognized in my quest to root out and solve what was wrong with me, I tend to overlook what is right with me.  As for perfection....well I agree with Flylady (http://www.flylady.net/d/press-kit/2011-columns/column-1/) that it tears people down much more than it builds people up.  Flylady recommends "progress, not perfection."  I remember a story I read about an old man finding a childish journal kept by his now grown son.  The date recorded a 'perfect' day fishing with his father.  The old man went to his journal and read his entry for the same date...a wasted day fishing, didn't catch anything.  Much like beauty, perfection is in the eye of the beholder.  Sometimes we waste hours and hours to get some detail perfect that will be forgotten in a year or two, in the mean time neglecting to do the things that really make a lasting impression.  I am challenging myself to see the beauty in myself and remind myself that I need to let go doing something perfectly while stepping up those things that last the longest. 




No comments: