Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hunger for love

"There is more hunger for love and
appreciation in this world than for bread."
- Mother Teresa
 

I stopped taking the paper years ago.  There is sorrow and sadness daily somewhere in the world.  Yesterday bombings hit Boston Marathon.  Timing and all the bombs exploding would have multiplied the dead and wounded.  Saying that Boston is lucky does not ease the pain and suffering of the injured and those that died.  I appreciate the quote by Fred Rogers (many in the USA know him as Mr. Rogers) being passed around to look for the helpers. 

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." 

 There are already tweets and Facebook posts of those stepping up to help others in Boston. People that are comforting others, easing the way for others, and cleaning up the debris of someone's desire to cause pain and suffering. I have never understood how the suffering of innocent people makes sense...it doesn't.   I pray for those that are suffering.  I am thankful to those that step up to help.  There is hunger for love everywhere.  I can start where I am. 


1 comment:

Judith said...

I never heard that suggestion from Mr Rogers, but it's a great one.

I heard on the news that the Red Cross had more offers for blood donations than they could use. And if you saw the video of the older man racing who fell when the bomb went off (it was or of the endless video loops) -- he turned out to be a 78 year old marathoner who was one, but then he turned around to assist others in need.

It's good to find the positive in such an evil act.