Friday, April 19, 2013

Letting Go - Smoke and Mirrors

Sometimes I hang on to a blog post from someone else and think about it.  Then I take the time to write about each piece of it.  I am looking for puzzle pieces to help me on my journey through living.  PurposeFairy post some awesome lists and articles that really get me thinking A LOT.  This is one of her posts:
http://www.purposefairy.com/7805/9-truths-about-letting-go-of-opinions-that-taint-us/

I debated if I wanted to do a summary or a piece by piece inspection and reaction to a well written post with some awesome ideas.

1. Smoke and Mirrors

One of the first steps in counseling is clearing away the Smoke and Mirrors that distort perception.   Ever run through a Fun House with distorted images that make you look short and fat or tall and impossibly skinny?  Telling my story and examining my life pulled up distortions that I believed all my life.  Smashing mirrors and illusions right and left until I wondered what remained of my shattered world.  KavinCoach led me and coaxed me out of the mixed up maze of my life.  One of his questions that rocked my world, "Why did you give away your power?"
WHAT?  What power?  I never had any power?  Here in PurposeFairy I found the same question:

"Spare a thought about who you give your power over to."

Years later, I know the answers to part of the question.   I gave up my power when I was a little girl before I even knew I had any.  The demand for absolute blind obedience without question stripped all power of choice at a very young age.  I gave up my power in order to survive and I didn't even understand the terrible price I paid and paid and paid and paid....I was in counseling, over 40 years old, before I understood I was supposed to have power.  I didn't know what I was looking for because I didn't know I had it to loose.  Those counseling sessions were painful in the extreme, no fault of my counselor.  It was the comprehension of the massive loss that could never be returned to me, years and years of feeling powerless.  I didn't understand I have power over my own belief and perceptions.  I do not have to see the world or myself as my abusers dictated.  I decide what is beautiful, what is good, and what is enough.  Taking back my power was hard because when I took back my power I became responsible for my choices.  Smashing mirrors and airing out smoke took years of work. 


2 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm happy you were able to take back your power Ruth.

Ruth said...

Thank you Ellen.