Friday, February 28, 2014

Epic Fail

I work at a school where the students are learning to be preschool teachers.  They write and give the lessons to the preschool classes.  After each lesson they have reflection questions.  I looked over the questions and decided that I could use them when I am trying to process my reaction to an event.  These questions were written by the high school teacher I work with:

How was your activity successful?

How was it unsuccessful?

What forms of positive reinforcement did you use?

How would you change the activity if you were going to do it again? (Describe at least 3 changes you would make)

What is a follow-up activity that you could do to reinforce/review the material that you taught or practiced in this lesson?




Group diet in game form with co-workers....Epic fail.


How was your activity successful?
I met some co-workers I didn't know and one is now a lunch time walk companion.  I also learned that I can tackle habits one at a time using a simplified tracking.  Not too much at once.  This past month I focused on speaking kindly to myself.  No self name calling.  I have a better attitude about myself.  

How was it unsuccessful?  
I gained 5 lbs.  Binged more times than I did between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sleep dropped below 5 hours a night.  


What forms of positive reinforcement did you use? 
I tracked several categories on a score sheet....which actually worked for me for some things. I tried to encourage myself by reminding myself not to weigh myself more than once a day as instructed by the rules.


How would you change the activity if you were going to do it again? (Describe at least 3 changes you would make)  
1. I would not do it as a team.  When the person I teamed with didn't follow the rules I didn't either....I realized I resented her breaking rules that I was following and rather than be proud of myself keeping the rules, I broke them, too.  
2. I would allow more choices in food.  Restricting every meal to have certain foods and not eating fruit at the same time as carbs and on and on and on with rules...just too many rules to keep track of.  Be more concerned with calorie intake and less concerned about all the rules. 
3. If someone else comments on my progress without invitation, I would politely inform them that it is not ok.  Going home and binging on food was a poor choice of how to respond to criticism. 


What is a follow-up activity that you could do to reinforce/review the material that you taught or practiced in this lesson?
I believe that continuing with the kind self talk will help me.   I do think I can work on other habits using a chart and tracking them daily for a month.  Looking to use more positive reinforcement with myself.  If I am going to expect other people to treat me with respect then I need to treat me with respect. 

I am going back to keeping track of food intake and exercise on MyFitnessPal.  It is non-judgmental and works for me.  I am glad I attempted.  I was also very proud of my self for quitting before the end.  I recognized that with the triggers that were shooting everywhere I was doing more harm than good with this diet.  



No comments: