Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sisu

I get emails from Vic Magary.   http://www.vicmagary.com/ I learned about his website from Joel of Impossible challenges http://impossiblehq.com/  I appreciate Vic's encouragement and ideas on better health.  I am not a Paleo dieter but his ideas are helpful.  Yes, I am working on increasing my vegetable intake.  I hadn't realized that I don't really like vegetables but he gives suggestions on eating them that makes it easier to enjoy adding more to my diet.  He also shares what he learns about living.  Yesterdays article in his news letter led me to learn a new word - Sisu.

 James defined the word in his article:

http://jamesclear.com/sisu-mental-toughness

This article talked about something that my counselor pointed out that I have in abundance.  In fact I believe all survivors have varying levels.  It is why we are survivors and not victims with obituaries.

Failure is an Event, Not an Identity

Abuser try to convince their targets that they are failures and will amount to nothing.  Survivors stand up on unsteady feet and move forward anyway.  Some where in a survivors soul they decide that they are not what their abuser tells them they are.  Against all odds....yup that is what survivors do.  They survive against all odds. 

Martin Luther King shared a similar idea:
“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” ― Martin Luther King Jr. 
One of the teachers I work with at school shared this with her students.  My comment, "If you fall flat on your face, you are still moving forward."  



 
Kent Keith may have written but Mother Teresa lived it.

Mother Teresa's Anyway Poem

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
[Reportedly inscribed on the wall of Mother Teresa's children's home in Calcutta, and attributed to her. However, an article in the New York Times has since reported (March 8, 2002) that the original version of this poem was written by Kent M. Keith.]
http://www.dbooth.org/guat2000/small/teresa.htm


No comments: